Walgreens

www.walgreens.com
  www.walgreens.com
There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

Great vision, execution needs to catch up

Current Employee - Director in Deerfield, IL
Current Employee - Director in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Walgreens healthcare vision, broad scope of healthcare services, bringing on new, diverse talent, expansion plans, stock price

Cons

Still thinks like retail
-- hard to attract and keep high quality corporate talent with retail benefits and vacation policies
-- needs to have longer-term vision in terms of organizational design, business strategies, etc (too much focus on current quarter, current year)

Get out of the weeds and hire the right talent to drive the company -- giving them the people, technology and other resources to do it. Now we are a global company, we need to start acting like it.

3959 Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens (View Most Recent)

Good personal experience, bad place to grow and advance.

Current Employee - Photo Manager/Head Photo Specialist in Fitchburg, WI
    Current Employee - Photo Manager/Head Photo Specialist in Fitchburg, WI

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 11 1/2 years now and I am the photo manager for the Fitchburg Walgreen's in Fitchburg Wisconsin. The pros of working here are a great Store Manager, flexible hours and a great crew of people to work with. There is never a dull moment at the Fitchburg Walgreen's!!

Cons

I feel some of the cons are: Walgreen's is a bad place to move up the ladder, so to speak. There is not a lot of vertical growth offered in the company. The management does not want to mentor people who want to move up. The store manager does not like it (as do other managers) when you ask them questions. They also expect you to fit eight gallons of water in a five gallon pail. They give you twelve hours of work to do and expect it to be done in eight hours and then complain and tell you you are not doing your job when you don't get it done.

I have three tips for upper management. They are: 1. Stop cutting hours and pay. If you want the work done, then you have to make sure we have the time to do it. The work has to reflect the help, not the other way around. 2. If a person wants to move up in the company and they are serious about it, work with them. Help them get to where they want to be. 3. Teach your store management to listen carfully to what their employees are telling them, and, make sure your store managers understand at least the basics of every department in thier store.

I feel if the management at all levels understood the above advice and put it into practice, we would have much more production being done on the front lines and we would be a much more profitable business. Not to mention much happier employees!!

The staff and management at the store level are excellent, however you always have corporate breathing down your neck.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff and a team atmosphere. Profit sharing options are rewarding for long term employees. Store management is super supportive and very approachable. Sometimes you even get to make a real difference in peoples lives. Work related education is available and often time paid for.

Cons

Corporate loves to micro-manage all the way down to your exact wording, body language, and your "cultural beliefs." The pharmacy experience relates too closely to that of a fast food environment and so staff and medications are treated with equivalent levels of respect. The compensation for staff does not match the work required of them. Weekly budgets for hours are unrealistic. And corporate managers do not defend their stores.

Loyalty is a two way street.

There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens