Walgreens

www.walgreens.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

Bringing micromanagement to a new level

Current Employee - SFK in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - SFK in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits - insurance offered but fairly bad coverage, good employee discount, decent financial investment benefits, good learning opportunities, ability to grow with the market (although if now in a good growing market your screwed). Learning and licensing in RX. Lucky to be in a good CL store, and get to learn from some of the best, but it all depends on the store and leadership.

Cons

Stores are so micro-managed corporate makes it hard to get anything done. Hours are ridiculously tight and pay has been slashed so much that good new employees are a rare commodity. Their re-structuring, aka, job slashing has been a low blow to those who have stuck with the company for years. Good managers have been screwed out of wages and positions and forced to leave or face a huge pay cut. Shift leads are expected to pick up the slack for $5 less an hour.

Have achievable expectations and give enough hours to get the job done. You are sacrificing employees for dollars, and customers for profits. Its just to come back to bite you, and before your know it you'll be short on people to run the stores. Change before its too late.

4311 Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens (View Most Recent)

Glad for the experience but hopefully will not work at the stores again.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employee discount 20% on Walgreens items, 15% on brand items, employee purchase programs. It's a large company with over 5,000 stores so you can transfer anywhere if needed.

Cons

Corporate is constantly changing how the store level employees do their jobs. Each month it seems like we are scrapping one initiative to begin another. No work life balance and a lot of turnover. Lack of training for employees at all levels.

Senior management has lost of sight of what makes customers want to shop at Walgreens - employees that offer excellent service. Stop cutting hours to meet goals and allow stores to be staffed accordingly to perform corporate tasks. Stores are not able to handle the work load because they do not have the staff to prevent them from getting behind. Transforming and change is necessary but not at a constant level. Too much change signals indecisiveness and creates dissatisfaction among the store level employees.

Unrealistic Team Goals

Former Employee - Certified Photo Specialist
    Former Employee - Certified Photo Specialist

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn necessary communication skills for the retail industry. Also great opportunities to meet new people in the community and to make friends with coworkers.

Cons

Corporate set goals for individual stores are unrealistic, ie: unloading shipment and restocking the entire store in less than ten hours. I constantly felt rushed and behind in my work even though I feel that I put more effort into my job than most people would.

Allow for more time or more employees to reach realistic goals.

There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens