There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

Walgreens hired me without much experience and provided a great training atmosphere.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, CO
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Walgreens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid company that isn't going anywhere.

Cons

They know that making money often means cutting hours.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Over-worked, under-paid, under-appreciated, and no want for advancement.

Former Employee - Photo Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Photo Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Walgreens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're lucky you'll have good co-workers and nice management, but it's not likely.

Cons

Start you off at minimum wage. I returned to Walgreens to restart my 4th year at $9.50. Got $2 raise in 4 YEARS...LIVING IN LA, CALIFORNIA!!! They start you off at front register. You will have 1 Cos, Photo, & Asst Mgr (4 people to run a big store)! Register is constantly busy (unless you're in a slow store...prices are wrong, coupons don't work...it's a nightmare)! You get promoted to Cosmetics or Photo. Cosmetics is easy; they only stock, don't do register, don't cover breaks, don't seem to do anything...get this job if you can. Photo is okay, unless you're at a busy store. In L.A. photo was constantly busy and we had to cover the breaks and lunches of the front register, even if we had tons of work and were late with orders. If you want to take a break (and you can) you will fall even further behind with your work. At night, you have to do most of the cleaning (b/c Cos does nothing and register is busy). No one helped us or cared if we had lots of work and were late. If photo had been caught up with orders, you would work the stock room, work the cooler, and do any back-breaking labor. Assistant Managers were mainly responsible with the stockroom. If you have a lazy Asst Mgr, you were told to do the stockroom...and photo, and cover breaks. If you're lucky, the Asst Mgr will do their fair-share. In my experience, 50% did there share, 40% were worthless, and 10% were responsible (and I worked for the company for 7 years). Asst Managers had way too much work also. They had to work the stockroom, count money, get change, do returns, do resets, try to cover photo during breaks. But they make good money...No! In California (one of the most expensive places to live) they started at $14 and worked up to $19/hr. When the economy went down, they told us they would have to cut wages...that's fair. By 2012, Walgreens had reached revenues above what they had received in 2006...but they still cut pay. Asst. Mgrs were cut to $12.50-15. Long-term Asst Mgrs were told to go from $19/hr to $15/hr (with no chance of a raise)...even though the company revenue was the same or higher than 2006. When I left the company in 2013, MANAGERS were told they would have to be Sales-Men. Assistant Managers were told to take the responsibilities of Managers. Everyone else needed to do their work and the work of Asst Mgrs. You don't have to listen to me, I only worked here for 7 years. If you're attractive and/or are good at Cosmetics sales, take this job! If you are doing the register, only work for a slow store, unless you love customer complaints, love to be over-worked, love to be under-appreciated, and under-paid. If you're in Photo, you might be paid okay, will be over-worked, and will resent Cosmetics for doing nothing while you run around like a chicken with its head cut off. Assistant Managers will start at $12.50 (California) with constant work and apathetic workers. No one will ever thank or appreciate you, no matter how much work you do...Coca-Cola merchandisers (who did much less than you) started at $12/hr.

Advice to Management

Who cares, they won't listen to you. Stop treating Cosmetics so well. Stop making Photo and Front Register do everything. Pay Assistant Managers a decent wage. Have an extra register/stockroom person for busy stores.

what a shame

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Denver, CO

I worked at Walgreens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nothing is the same anymore

Cons

labor cut backs and no real time to manage the staff....if there was even staff to managed

Advice to Management

shame on the senior management team for heavy top company