There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

Not the company I got hired by.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to have a lot of "pros". Now it's mostly "cons". There are a lot of good people working there.

Cons

The company is rewiring positions. Essentially one management position is being eliminated, and another is taking it's place. That position,Shift Floor Lead (SFL) does the same job as the MGT, but is paid significantly less. The position of Executive Assistant is now re-named Assistant Store Manager(ASM) and there are Assistant Manager Trainees (ASM-T). Many good MGT's are being asked to step down, while weaker, inexperienced people are being hired and rushed through to ASM-T positions. On top of all these changes, the company is starting to lose really good Store Managers. People that have been around for a long time, and have done a lot of good thing for the company. I know of three that left, who had a combined 50 years of experience. Yet, corporate seems to ignore this. Alloted hours for stores are constantly being cut, pharmacy runs short on hours, and front store needs to help out. Then we are reprimanded for not having projects completed. There used to be good teamwork within districts, now not so much. People in corporate seem to think all of our customers just want to hear slogans and that will keep them coming back.

Advice to Management

There is more to life that stock price. Yes $60 a share is nice, but what about the quality of your employee's life.

reviews filtered by

Corporate Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Walgreens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people are friendly. The Friday before a major summer holiday (e.g. Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day) is Jean Day.

Cons

Low retention, Lack of advancement from within, a bunch of corporate politics. Despite new flagship store developments and new acquisitions, company remains a conservative culture. Must be a "seasoned" employee before you can be an upper level executive. Jean days are acquired by how much of your hard earned money goes towards a certain charity or drive. Problems with HR Screenings and HR Dept. overall; passing up opportunities for experience internal employees.

Advice to Management

The secret to growing the business is not through the number of stores that you create each year, it's by trying to retain your employees, acknowledging the experienced staff members, making them happy and feel appreciated.

terrible

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

The leadership acumen gained as a management intern benefited me in the long run. It was really good experience for my leadership qualities

Cons

Retail is extremely busy and tough. Not a lot of time off, no overtime pay, and employees were generally mistreated by corporate intitatives