Walgreens

www.walgreens.com
There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

Walgreens is a good company (in retail) to work for.

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

401(k) is excellent.
The company is heading in a good direction strategy wise.
Work at the forefront of the retail phamacy industry.

Cons

Retail-the schedule is awful. Nights, weekends, holidays.
Market tends to get saturated easily-chance for advancement dries up.

Continue to increase the amount of training at all levels.

4153 Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens (View Most Recent)

Great Micro-Family, Poor Macro-Family

Current Employee - Service Clerk
    Current Employee - Service Clerk

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

-I love the people I work with at my store as they are all very nice and caring people, some of which I even consider to be like extended family members.

-Employee Discount is nice but could be higher in my honest opinion, I work in a resort area so the prices are already jacked up about 5% higher then neighboring Walgreens.

-Management is fairly helpful as when I request time off I usually get it.

Cons

-Upper Management/Corporate doesn't know how to continue running an effective business. We used to be about customer care and now we just care about getting everything in their wallet.

-Hours are being cut way too much (I went from being a part-time employee that got 26-28 hours a week to getting, if I'm lucky, 12 a week now. Even in the summer when I work third shift I have lost four hours of pay).

-Not enough staff anymore (I work in a resort area and we honestly need more people. We used to have 12 service clerks all-together, between part-time and full-time, and we are now down to six. When we get busy we don't have enough people to help check, work the floor, or cover in case someone calls in sick.)

-Focus too much on those stupid suggestive sell items. I hate selling them because they are pointless items that people don't need, especially with the economy the way it is now. It's money that we should let customers save and not try to take from them. I honestly don't think one single customer likes being asked about the suggestive sale item either, it annoys them any time we ask at our store.

-Poor training. I know it doesn't take much to train someone to run a register but we could be more effective if we check in with our employees even now and then and see if they need a refresher on something.

-Lack of contribution in the community. Growing up I remember going to different Walgreens stores and seeing them doing something for the community, like a can food drive or a cook out or something but not once in my nearly five years of service have I seen my Walgreens do anything of that nature.

-Pay is just a tad too low in my opinion, at least in the area where I work. I think starting pay should be at around $9-$10, which might sound a bit outrageous to some but to me I think that is fair for everything that we have to do and put up with. It would be a bit more competitive compared to the other jobs in the area.

Read my Cons list and fix what I'm complaining about. Go back to being the Walgreens you were before you erected your 5000th store. I think a good start this year would be to give your yearly bonuses to the regular employees and not the store managers since we do all the work anyway.

Assistant Manager

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Walgreens offers a great opportunity for college students to participate in their internship as an Assistant Manager. The overall experience was rewarding.

Cons

There are some disadvantages for managers and assistant managers who are parents of small children. The balance between work and home can become frustrating.

Thank you for the opportunity to participate in the internship program. Walgreens has many inspirational managers who offer great support and guidance.

There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens