There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

Great company but many questionable choices

Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Weldon Spring, MO
Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Weldon Spring, MO

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reasons to work for Walgreens is easily the work environment and the beliefs behind the company. Walgreens asks employees to complete surveys every year to see what is really going on in their stores and what should be improved.

Cons

Some of the choices in management are very questionable. Three of my five assistant managers did not have the needed skills for their jobs and were forced to learn the skills and the requirements through a program but that work could only be completed on the clock, when employees need them. Employees stop caring after a while and stop trying so those of us that still do care have to pick up all the slack and then we get burned out.

Be more picky in who you hire, listen to what your employees have to say. We are the ones working in the stores, not you. Come up with a better uniform, I am so sick of constantly being asked if I work there because our uniform doesn't really look much like one.

3651 Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens (View Most Recent)

Decent enough place to work, but not a career.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Mix of good and bad managers and coworkers (like any occupation)
    - Pay is slightly better than other entry level retail
    - Good community feeling around the workplace

Cons

- It's retail, so you will get used to being treated like less than a person once or twice a shift
    - Zero incentive to work harder or more efficiently

Find a way to recognize quality hourly workers with concrete benefits/promotions instead of cheesy recognition campaigns that single them out.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good variety of people to work with, offers health insurance benefits (at cost), plus profit sharing opportunities, PTO, wonderful customer service philosophy

Cons

Starting pay is very low, can be difficult to move up to shift leader position, but from there seems like more opportunities for advancement become available. Being sick doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to call out. Reviews were done by upper management who really didn't seem to have enough direct knowledge to evaluate employees.

Management should listen more to employees, as they have the most contact with customers. Customers do not want to take a survey every time they checkout. They want to swipe their card/pay and go. Currently each customer is asked several questions during each transaction which takes away from the real connection the employee could make with them, and makes the customer feel somewhat annoyed at times. They seem to create a disconnect and makes the whole thing seem robotic.

There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens