There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

The good and the bad at Walgreens.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Deerfield, IL
Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

One of the best reasons to work for Walgreens Health Services (WHS) is the profit sharing program. The Company will match a guaranteed $2 for every $1 an employer contributes to their 401(k) plan, up to the first 2%. This is the starting point and matches could far exceed these levels based on the Company's performance. Another good reason to work for WHS is that the Company is building new stores every day and this provides an abundance of job opportunities.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working at Walgreens is that the Company provides more advancement opportunities for pharmacists than it does for non-pharmacists. Also, the Company does not provide tuition reimbursement for graduate school, only for those wishing to obtain a PharmD. Another downside of working for the Company is the lack of leadership by Senior Management.

Advice to Management

I would tell Senior Management that they need to do a better job at executing their strategies and focus more on growing their more profitable business, such as their mail facilities and their PBM. I have seen many times where Walgreens will lose a bid to a third party payor becuase of its lack of PBM aggressiveness and leadership in the marketplace. Walgreens focuses more on building new stores than it does at attracting members to its stores.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A hit or miss job

Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Coventry, RI
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Coventry, RI

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Easy to do if you are a pretty lazy person which was great for me in the beginning.

Cons

Big downside is if you have a crappy store manager. From what i heard its great and easy to advaNCE if u have a good manager that isnt a drug addict. SHe has a huge stash and would give you inpossible duties, and when i would do them 100 percent she would show me this facial expression of horror and tell me that I'm lucky that no one wants the night shift. Also I would get blamed for stealing that i never did.

Advice to Management

I would tell them to look a lot closer to the store managers, especially when they have a higher then normal quit rate.

2. In a perfect world.....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Lots of growth means opportunity for advancement. The company has a great moral compass. The company offers great benefits. There is a great deal of emphasis on training and promoting from within.

Cons

Lots of growth means people are being promoted that are not qualified for more responsibility. While the company has high moral standards, unfortunately, more and more of the employees do not. ( Includes middle and upper management.) The company promotes a balance bewtween work and home but many managers are always "encroaching" and making employees feel they should be willing to stay later, do more, etc. In addition the growth is undertaken no matter what. Lines in the sand should not be drawn when it comes to the number of stores a company operates. The company seems to have arrived at this decision too. Too bad it was just recently.

Advice to Management

You cannot promote people who just talk the talk and don't walk the walk. You cannot promote someone because they know one aspect of the business well. They must be more well rounded. As members of management you are responsible for giving unqualified employees feedback on areas needing improvement for promotion. You cannot promote just because the store "must open."