There are newer employer reviews for Walman Optical

It's a job - Not an adventure - It was fun and exciting for the first 3 months.

Current Employee - Field Sales
Current Employee - Field Sales

Pros

Employee owned - period! The management seems to be out for them self.

Cons

Management - Does not motivate - uses threats to get the motivation out of employees.

Advice to Management

Your employees make the company. Learn what is important to the employees. Quit tracking us field sales reps like a bounty hunter!

Other Employee Reviews for Walman Optical

Having a positive work experience

Current Employee - Optician
    Current Employee - Optician

Pros

The hours are the best in the store. The Vision Center is closed on major holidays as a typical doctor's office would be. You are generally not called into the main of the store to help others accomplish tasks because we are dealing with patients who take precedence. No cashiering or cart pushing for example. If you decide to take the test to become a licensed optician and pass, Walmart with reimburse you the amount.

Cons

Customers of Walmart have a tendency to think we do not employ "real" doctors. All of our optometrists go through medical school and have earned the right to place Dr. in front of their names. Others think that because we are able to offer our glasses, contacts, services ect. at such an affordable price that the quality must also be lesser. Not the case.

Advice to Management

My only have one complaint about the ability to achieve advancement within the company. I was told by a manager that is easier to train a manager from another department in optical, than it is for an optician to be trained as a manager. It can get frustrating to have to train your boss in basics for a position that you can do with your eyes closed.

2. Optical

Pros

Good benefits, nice people, willing to train and educate staff. New things to learn, took on people with no knowledge and taught.

Cons

Local branch managers very short sighted and unwilling to make changes where needed will get total support from division managers even though the only communication they have is phone an email. When parent company is three states away.