Walman Optical

www.walman.com
  www.walman.com
There are newer employer reviews for Walman Optical

Having a positive work experience

Current Employee - Optician
Current Employee - Optician

I have been working at Walman Optical

Pros

The hours are the best in the store. The Vision Center is closed on major holidays as a typical doctor's office would be. You are generally not called into the main of the store to help others accomplish tasks because we are dealing with patients who take precedence. No cashiering or cart pushing for example. If you decide to take the test to become a licensed optician and pass, Walmart with reimburse you the amount.

Cons

Customers of Walmart have a tendency to think we do not employ "real" doctors. All of our optometrists go through medical school and have earned the right to place Dr. in front of their names. Others think that because we are able to offer our glasses, contacts, services ect. at such an affordable price that the quality must also be lesser. Not the case.

My only have one complaint about the ability to achieve advancement within the company. I was told by a manager that is easier to train a manager from another department in optical, than it is for an optician to be trained as a manager. It can get frustrating to have to train your boss in basics for a position that you can do with your eyes closed.

4 Other Employee Reviews for Walman Optical (View Most Recent)

Management needs to stop being so greedy and unethical!

I have been working at Walman Optical full-time

Pros

Employee owned, good people for the most part. Stock options make it worth it.

Cons

GREEDY management. Out for themselves! Different rules for different people. Unethical management in some branches.

Recognize good employees when you have them so you don't lose them. QUIT BEING SO GREEDY! The company is successful because of the TEAM, not you.

Just an ok place to work, not a place to work at for a long period of time.

I worked at Walman Optical

Pros

This company genuinely has great benefits as far as 401k, esop and if you can afford to have the bi-weekly health insurance. They also give out Christmas bonuses, taxed to the fullest amount possible of course.

Cons

1. I feel if they could hire Managers with the right type of education and experience, it could thrive and be a great place to work. The level of professionalism with these managers needs help along with a big reminder about employee confidentiality.
    2. There is no inside promotions or advancements.

Take your jobs seriously and do exactly as your job title expects of you. It wouldn't hurt to take a semester or course at the local college to help you along versus just trial an error.

There are newer employer reviews for Walman Optical