There are newer employer reviews for Walman Optical

Having a positive work experience

Current Employee - Optician
Current Employee - Optician

I have been working at Walman Optical

Pros

The hours are the best in the store. The Vision Center is closed on major holidays as a typical doctor's office would be. You are generally not called into the main of the store to help others accomplish tasks because we are dealing with patients who take precedence. No cashiering or cart pushing for example. If you decide to take the test to become a licensed optician and pass, Walmart with reimburse you the amount.

Cons

Customers of Walmart have a tendency to think we do not employ "real" doctors. All of our optometrists go through medical school and have earned the right to place Dr. in front of their names. Others think that because we are able to offer our glasses, contacts, services ect. at such an affordable price that the quality must also be lesser. Not the case.

Advice to Management

My only have one complaint about the ability to achieve advancement within the company. I was told by a manager that is easier to train a manager from another department in optical, than it is for an optician to be trained as a manager. It can get frustrating to have to train your boss in basics for a position that you can do with your eyes closed.

reviews filtered by
  1. I learned many different aspects of making eyeglasses

Former Employee - Supervisor Was More Interested In Hiring Friends in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Supervisor Was More Interested In Hiring Friends in Omaha, NE

I worked at Walman Optical

Pros

Good Benefits but very poor raises for my dedicated hard work

Cons

When I was on vacation other employers and supervisors moved my whole work area around with out asking

Advice to Management

None

2. Management needs to stop being so greedy and unethical!

I have been working at Walman Optical full-time

Pros

Employee owned, good people for the most part. Stock options make it worth it.

Cons

GREEDY management. Out for themselves! Different rules for different people. Unethical management in some branches.

Advice to Management

Recognize good employees when you have them so you don't lose them. QUIT BEING SO GREEDY! The company is successful because of the TEAM, not you.