Walmart

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Irritating and Frustrating.

Current Employee - Produce Associate in Grenada, MS
Current Employee - Produce Associate in Grenada, MS

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

I like the customers and the work itself is not bad. The scheduling is done three weeks in advance, which is a good thing.

Cons

Management is VERY adversarial with the employees. They ask you to do tasks in an impossible time frame. Management lies to the employees with impunity. We get bonuses every quarter and an average hourly rate added on holidays. The bad news is your hours will be cut for the next month. I'm a full time employee and haven't made over 35 hours in 6 months. Management's bonuses are based in part on payroll. So we end up understaffed with very few hours each. That is what's most irritating.

Quit being do greedy, and help your employees.

9498 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

IT job, not a CS job

Former Employee - Programmer in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Programmer in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Area: The people that I worked with were great. I loved Bentonville and the community. Bentonville is a great community to live in as there are many trails, parks, and events simply because Walmart is there and is both paying taxes and funding area projects.
    Workplace: There also is a source of pride and commitment to a number of associates there, which is reassuring that people are committed to the company. There are many opportunities to move around the company to different areas that cover the wide range of technology. If you are interested in going into management and climbing the corporate ladder, this is a great place with many opportunities. If, however, you are instead interested in staying technical your entire career, them this is not the best place.

Cons

A constant feeling of being overworked and rushed. 45 hour minimum workweek. When there are deadlines and there is much more than 45 hours spent at work, you are rewarded with a certificate, and if your lucky, some time off shortly after (20% of overtime worked). The work environment changes greatly with the area. Some are much more overworked. There are definitely teams and areas that are to be avoided.
    A major con for me was that the job was an IT job more than a CS job. The programming was fun, but I felt like I was solving the same types of problems every day. There was no thought to computational theory or efficiency, just to ship a product by a specific date, often leading to half-baked, 70% done projects considered complete, which leads to a cycle of replacing legacy systems every 5 years.
    There are big pushes to innovate, yet no measures are given to provide for an innovative atmosphere. Everyone has the feeling of being overworked, and is told that to spend any time to innovate, it must be done in addition to regular work hours. Freedom is not given to explore new technologies (there is a team for that, and must be approved by another team to get access, a lengthy process). Work areas are crowded and noisy. Not a place to look for luxuries, Walmart in its culture looks to cut costs, meaning minimal solutions/work place (It took months of pleading, begging, complaining; eventually by entire department to get a second monitor).

"swim upstream", "be a maverick" and challenge the management above you to provide for a more innovative and fun atmosphere for your team.

Management needs more participatory leadership training skills

Former Employee - Coordinator in Apple Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Apple Valley, CA

I worked at Walmart

Pros

It is a job and the people they hire are really good and decent people, wholesome people that are really selected well.

Cons

Management squeezes as much out of the workers as humanly possible and asks for more, the motivation is almost desperate and the reward for good work is not fair compensation.

Share the bonuses you receive for a job well done, driving people so hard without any sign of appreciation is simply disheartening.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart