There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Would be cool, if it wasn't actually working for Wal-Mart.

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Bentonville, AR
Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart

Pros

As a programmer; they do try to balance work and life. They arent great at it, but they try more than others. Easy to advance to higher positions. Slow to stream line software development, but at least they know it needs to be done. Respect for the individual is their motto, and I think most people get it and live it. I feel like my team is my family (for better or worse).

Cons

Required to be part of a pager rotation (which can be great, and can be really bad, depends on the team). Location (Bentonvile) is low cost of living but absolutely boring. Either poor skanks or rich people who think they are important - almost everyone in Fayetteville hates home office employees. some really dumb people get promoted only because they are tall and talk loudly. Work with old technology, and end up writing the documentation so that contractor can do the work. The worst thing is the corporate culture. If you get a job here as a programmer, be prepared to have your job outsourced in five years, because they setting themselves up to have ISD only be in charge of projects, not to actually do them. Only senior programmers and above will be safe. Their retail analysis isn't even preformed by them anymore, third party companies do it now.

Advice to Management

Its not that bad being a programmer for walmart, however, the company itself is pretty evil. They want to crush amazon, even though amazon is a bigger innovator than they are. They support SOPA and want all the employees to vote for whatever the company wants. Let your employees be unique, dont try to tell them what to think all of the time. The place is like a cult, lose the cultness, and it would be one of the best places to work ever.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Awesome Engineering Team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Ability to make a big impact. Culture. Responsibility. Big projects. Big exposure. Big potential.

Cons

Low entry-level pay. Not competitive in this category, company loses a lot of top engineering talent because of it. Simply raising the entry-level pay would do a lot for their company's recruiting and talent base in the future.

2. so far I am quite pleased.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fall River, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fall River, MA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

people who work there are like family.
    great opportunity for advancement.
    benefits and employee discounts.
    stock options with the company.
    I have family there and now many good friends as well.

Cons

some of the decisions made sometimes make my job harder.