Walmart

corporate.walmart.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

General review of Wal-Mart with In-depth attendance and discipline information.

Former Employee - Overnight Customer Service Manager in Rochester, MN
Former Employee - Overnight Customer Service Manager in Rochester, MN

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Wal-Mart has had a lot of trouble with "unpaid overtime", "working off the clock", and other pay related suits. In my experience, Wal-Mart has become very cautious about these situations and advises all employees to avoid them--upon penalty of termination for everyone involved. The Open Door policy allows you to speak with any member of management at any level. If you are dissatisfied with in-store management, you can go to the district, regional, or upper levels of management in a consecutive line. The contact information is available to all associates.
Wal-Mart supplies a free of cost nurse advice line, as well as "resources for living", which provides career help and counseling.
Wal-Marts 1-800 number for absences, while sometimes inconvenient, provides electronic proof of your absence or tardy request and forwards your call to the store when you're finished.
You receive regular performance evaluations at which point the only way to not receive a raise is to be fired--something unlikely but not impossible for a review.
It's convenient to be able to get almost everything your household could need at the Supercenter stores. 10% discounts are also very nice, but usually not applicable for groceries. However, stores have recently been applying the discount to produce.
This is a great place for those looking to get real-world job experience for the first time or after a less than stellar job history. If you truly want to work, you can almost definitely find a position at Wal-Mart as they are almost constantly hiring.
Paid training and computer modules are very helpful to those just starting out.
The number of employee's who follow the "10 foot rule"--the practice of making eye contact with, smiling, and greeting those that come within 10 feet of you--is really great and it tends to spread throughout the building. After working at Wal-Mart while following this "rule", it's hard not to strike up conversations with strangers and it makes it much easier to maintain eye contact and conversation during future business situations.
Wal-Mart matches every dollar you put into their stocks, and allows for fairly easy pay-outs.
Wal-Marts direct deposit system is wonderful--you can deposit into upto two checking accounts and two savings accounts, as well as recieving part or all of your check in a paper check. You receive a deposit slip and detailed pay stub every pay period, and you can cash your paper checks free of charge at Customer Service.

Cons

In 2006, Wal-Mart implemented a strict attendance policy of 3 non-consecutive unpaid absences in a 12-month period. Consecutive absences up to three days count as one absence, and anything beyond that required a Leave of Absence as covered under FMLA to protect your job. Your third absence, or non-serious infraction, will be met with a "Personal Discussion", a meeting with the employee, an assistant manager, and in some cases an hourly manager such as a Support Manager or Customer Service Manager. They will discuss what the problem is and "ask if they can help." In this step the meeting is usually very informal. No information will be entered in to the computer, but in some cases you will sign a form. The second infraction will be met with Verbal Coaching. This meeting will be relatively the same but you will definitely sign a form, verifying you received this verbal warning. The third infraction (or fifth absence) will result in a "Written Coaching", at the end of which you must sign a longer form and fill out a computerized version of a similar form with two members of management. The next step is a "Decision Making Day." There will be another meeting, more paper and electronic forms to sign, and you will be given one full shift of paid time off to reflect on whether this is the job for you, and what you should do to keep it. You will also be required to write a one page report which you will turn into the manager to be filed and typed into the computer.
The last infraction results in termination.

Some offenses will result in an automatic D-Day, or automatic firing depending on the severity of the situation--such as causing harm to another person, sexual harassment, or theft. Coaching is is a level based process and lasts for 6 months, or a year in the case of a D-Day. If you are coached for attendance, and then commit another first time infraction, you will still be brought up to the next level of coaching.

This is important because most of the people who are fired from Wal-Mart are terminated for attendance reasons. The disciplinary system is for the most part fair, but is almost totally automated. Only Store Managers or Co-Managers have the ability to completely override the coaching system, which leaves little room for personal discretion. This was done to create prejudice, but most stores have enough managers that problems with prejudice can easily be kept in line by a human system of checks and balances--one they already have set up in the Open Door Policy.

I would strongly advise re-evaluation of the new attendance policy. In my experience, most of the individuals that have been hurt are ones who really value the job and are capable of doing it well. I worked with a man who was so afraid of getting his fourth absence that he had a heart attack during his shift--he was unloading heavy pallets and started feeling ill, and went to management who are REQUIRED to warn him that if he goes home before half the shift is over, it will count as an unexcused absence. I'm not licensed to say whether he would have had the attack if he'd gone home to rest, but the expense of the ambulance and disruption to the store, as well as the loss of the worked for the three weeks the doctors had him on bed rest far outweighed the benefit he would have provided in finishing 4 and a half hours of work.
Most Assistant Mangers are hard working and compassionate, as well as intelligent, and more power in their hands would do nothing but good for the company. Morale would improve dramatically if these people--the face of management for most employees, could do more than dole out assignments and provides slaps on the wrist.

10023 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

As far as retail pharmacies go, Wal-Mart should be ranked at the top

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Pharmacists get a true lunch break and are allowed to close the pharmacy for 30 min each day. The technology used is top of the line however having internet access would be a very beneficial resource. Having no drive-thru window is such a perk. Medicine is not fast food and should not be treated as such.

Cons

The $4 generic program has increased prescription volume but decreased revenue so inturn the workload is more but the budget has not increased enough to allow for additional help. More work + same number staff = long waits, dissatisfied customers, and disgruntled pharmacy employees

Listen to the pharmacists and provide more supportive training when bringing on new hires.

Wal-Mart in a nutshell

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Rogers, AR
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Rogers, AR

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

The best reasons to work at Wal-Mart Inc is because they are a relatively young company with the future at their doorstop. They are a fortune 5 company will billions of employee's globally. They have the three most important core value system; Respect for the induvidual, Strive for excellence and service to the customer. At Wal-Mart being the best isn't something we just say it is something that we do everyday. Wal-Mart not only wants you to be the best at your job they demand it and hold you accountable and to a high standard. However they provide you with all of the training and curriculum needed to pass and exceed the goals that they have set for you. Wal-Mart offers several career opprotunites w/ the company and emplore you to find the best fit for what you are passionate about. They lead you to be a better person and teach you not only on professional levels but personal levels about the type of person that you would want to be. Wal-Mart was started on one man's dream and they still believe in him today. The family and closeness that they provide while working with your Wal-Mart family is one that can only be described if you were to be a Wal-Mart associate. Another thing that brings me to my next point...I am not another employee on the payroll! I am an associate! I can say "Hi Lee!" (Scott the CEO) and he will reply back w/ a first name answer! Not a Mr. Scott..It isn't about titles and my salary and your's everyone takes out their own trash and is accountable for themselves and there own career's at Wal-Mart; you can make it or you can break it.

Cons

I would say the biggest downside of working at Wal-Mart would be all of the polices and procedures. I am a new assoicate there and so far I've had to make 3 written statements about something I saw or something I've heard. I got sick and was going to miss 18 hours of work...I had to fill out a 6 page packet and take another 6 pages to my doctor to fill out! It is just that kind of corporate America that gives me a sour taste in my mouth. Because you know somewhere along the way some smuck ruined just calling in for a day or two b/c they took advantage. All of the follow the line and don't veer from it...kind of limits thinking outside of the box b/c I know for me it just makes me feel "someone thought of this and there is a reason as to why they don't do it this way". It limits creative thinking when you feel like there are so many policies and procedures in place.

I would tell my senior manager to evaluate some of her lower managers and maybe advise that they take a people skills class! A good morning and how are you goes a long way in cubicle land. Some of the managers under my senior manager I just wonder how they have friends and families b/c there is seriously a problem when my manager cannot smile and have a good time at work b/c she is so terrified that she is going to get in trouble for laughing at a joke.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart