Walmart

corporate.walmart.com
  corporate.walmart.com
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Great for a part-time job, but bad for a career!

Former Employee - Electronics Associate and Order Filler in Tomah, WI
Former Employee - Electronics Associate and Order Filler in Tomah, WI

I worked at Walmart

Pros

For the store associates, it is very easy to get hired and use for a temporary job; maybe for the summer when your out of school. I did meet my wife when we both worked for the Richland Center store. This is a cakewalk of a job. If you are looking to have a job that requires no skill and a lot of lounging around, then being a store associate is the job for you. If you're looking for something that actually requires brains or skill, then this may not be your job. My average paycheck (which was bi-weekly) was only about $500.
If you want to work for the distribution centers, then the job does pay well. If you do over your 100%, then you do get an incentive bonus. My average paycheck (which was bi-weekly) was around $1500.

Cons

1. Management only cares about the work. There is no room for family life if it conflicts with your schedule (even on holidays).
2. There is virtually no benefits for the first two years of employment. Sure, they give you a "temporary" package for basic insurance for the two years, but it's deductible was well over $1000 dollars, and they will only covered 80% of the total costs past that.
3. Wages are, of course, horrible if you are a store associate. If you don't work at the store, then wages are decent. For employees at distribution centers, they do get decent wages, but they break their backs to make them.
4. They make you do the Wal-Mart cheer. If your job isn't degrading enough, you have to cheer and dance about how Wal-Mart is the best company ever! If you choose not to do this (as I did), you get belittled by management as not being not a team player.
5. Management is hypocritical. When I worked as a store associate in Richland Center, WI, the store manager had an affair with a store employee. Instead of being fired, he was transferred to another branch of the corporation. When working for the distribution center in Tomah, WI, it is emphasized how we were all a team and a "family." As soon as I had severe carpal tunnel in my wrist, I was put on janitorial duties to do the jobs no one else would: cleaning grime, spills, painting, sweeping outside truck loading areas during the winter, etc. This also alienated me from other order fillers, and I received a lot of bad comments from co-workers on how I was "faking it," etc, and management never said a word when I brought this to their attention.
6. The hours. When I was a store associate, I was only part time. However, I was working 50 hours a week, and when my department manager was off his shift, I was acting manager (unofficially). When I wanted a raise, they didn't care about any of this, and they told me no. When my review came up, I only got a 35 cent raise (which put me a little over $7 per hour at the time) When you work overtime, you get yelled at by management. When you don't have enough time to get the work done, you get yelled at by management. I got "talked to" every week because I averaged 10 hours of overtime each week. When working at the distribution center, we worked until all the orders were complete. I started at 4:30am, and sometimes we didn't get done until 7-8pm. All orders are timed, and even though these were long shifts, they still expected you to make that time at the end of the day. I can tell you, after working 14 hours or so, this is an impossible task.

The Open Door policy is a joke. Wal-Mart just may need to have unions (associates don't have any benefits to lose anyway). Watch out because when your salary becomes too high; you will be let go. Just ask the former store manager of the Tomah, WI Wal-Mart. Be more respectful to the lower employees, and stop making them do the dumb Wal-Mart cheer!

9068 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Wal-Mart is an oft overlooked corporate entity that presents many career opportunities and is steadily growing!

Current Employee - Programmer in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Programmer in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Wal-Mart allows for vertical as well as horizontal employment advancement. You have the opportunity to try many different disciplines within the company, each with promotion opportunities, and promotions often come quickly for enterprising individuals. Corporate sponsors many learning opportunities for individuals not possessing a degree to have the same opportunities as their peers to apply for a position in another section of the business, be it technical, business, communications, merchandising, etc.

Cons

There is a lot of negative press concerning the company, being one of the largest retailers (10K+ retail units globally) and employers (almost 2 million employees globally) in the world. It is not always easy to acknowledge your employment at the corporate level to others without being forced to defend unfair assessments of the company's actions or inactions. There is also some disconnect between the associate in the filed (at stores and distribution centers) and the corporate headquarters hat is being remedied but still exists, in terms of new processes and practices not being communicated with a true understanding of the audience that will be required to execute them.

Know your associates. Be mindful of the requirements of their jobs so that you can better serve them. Deadlines made without understanding what goes into getting the job done is a bad practice that some get caught up in easily. Don't assume your understanding of a project will be the same as the one's actually implementing the design/product. Continue to care for the welfare of each associate and their families, as it goes a long way to secure loyalty.

Wal-Mart is immense and diverse, and everyone has a place within its structure; know your management.

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Wal-Mart provides an excellent array and opportunity for almost everyone; especially those just beginning from college, and definitely any High School graduates who chose to stop their institutional education at that level. Hourly employees receive cash bonuses based on merit up to 3.2% of the amount earned in a year; while Salaried positions receive annually 20% bonuses and can be higher as they advance. Many of the associates work in close quarters, which can be a benefit in the form of learning relationships for team members, opportunity to grow through mentor/mentee relationships, and open-door policies relating to fair & equal treatment.

Cons

As with many large-scale corporate environments, some individuals within management can be incompetent, biased, simply not the type of person that you work well with. My advice is to interview your senior management as much as they interview you. Be aware of those around you and possible negative interactions.

Be more active with the direct reports and their "career pathing" and opportunities within the company. Help associates achieve their goals and those of the departments. Prepare associates for success in other areas within the company. Speak highly of capable individuals and "promote" them to everyone in the company. Be proactive to stop "bad habits" early. Always be honest with your associates and coach them to grow with Wal-Mart. Recognize individuals who excel and strive for excellence.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart