Seasonal Help

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly co-workers and management. Excellent computerized training in the way WalMart runs, which tries to prepare you for any eventuality. They do put on a heck of Thanksgiving spread.

Cons

The "season" does not include Christmas or New Year's -- just Thanksgiving and Black Friday. I guess if they they told you how short the season is, they would get fewer applicants.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I have been blessed.

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In most cases the company is very flexible balancing home and work life or work and school. Though they expect you to give 100% while you are there, they also realize your life don't revolve around them.

Cons

The company as a whole doesn't budget for enough man hours in all areas to properly and effectively serve our customers. When one or two stores go over their budgeted hours, everyone in the market has to tighten their belts and cut back on hours. And in stores that are short handed as it is that hurts.

Advice to Management

I feel with the way Department Managers are taking on so many departments, especially if they are in a store that doesn't get the hours for sales associates in their areas for the added help, you are losing quality of work and customer service across the board. In addition to that poor morale because everyone is overwhelmed and overworked. As much as I like to be challenged in my work, if it were me I could see it getting old after a while. Stretching your people too thin will not only cause loss of customer service, poor work quality and lowered morale; it will in time cause health issues for stressed out workers such as ulcers, depression, migraines and such. Can't we find a happy medium?

2. My director became my tutor.

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Walmart as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

good environment, nice coworkers, heavy weight on integrity.

Cons

limited opportunities for non-American employees