Good Job - Unrealistic Time Limits

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker  in  Klamath Falls, OR
Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Klamath Falls, OR

I have been working at Walmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Walmart pays very well here in Klamath Falls, Oregon for overnight stock. I'm still in my 90 day probationary period and I make $9.50 an hour and have a 32 hour part-time work week with hardly any previous work experience. The job is quite fun and really fast paced. You get to learn where basically everything is on the shelves in a short amount of time through first hand experience. Other associates are pretty awesome and it's really nice to be able to help a customer find the exact location of the item that they're searching for.

Cons

You are timed based on how long the computer believes it should take you to stock a certain area. You are expected to stock at least 1 case per minute or 60 cases per hour which is sometimes possible if you know your work area but they have moved me around so many times that I don't really get the chance to become acquainted with each aisle. Management seems to think that if they walk by every few minutes and tell you to move faster and work harder that it'll increase productivity and that is just flat out wrong and a complete waste of time. If they instead walked by and saw that one of their workers was struggling and sent someone over to help that would indeed increase productivity. If you haven't worked in a while I suggest you start getting some exercise because this job will wipe you out for the first couple of weeks. The largest con that bothers me the most personally is that at Walmart they only care if you get the items on the shelf and not whether you are making sure that items are in the correct location. I cannot stand being dishonest on my job and so it takes me a while longer to complete the assigned tasks than others. I have now been transferred by management over to maintenance because I didn't agree with their "quantity over quality" bull crap.

Spend some time watching your workers and see how they stock and find out the why behind the time it takes to accomplish the task rather than just looking at the shallow computer print-out. If you'd ask me why it takes me so long I'd show you. Is it that hard to do?