Walmart

corporate.walmart.com
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor - ZMS in Manassas, VA
Current Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor - ZMS in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am only 21 years old, and I got promoted twice already. I started as electronic associate, got promoted to frozen-dairy department manager within less than 6 months. Not even 6 months later I got promoted again to zone merchandise supervisor over consumables. I love the opportunities they give you. In my first year they even paid a fair amount of money for my college education. I am full-time so I get all the benefits (medical, paid vacation, etc). I love their discount center, a lot of discounts pretty much on everything ( hotels, plan tickets, 20-30% off your phone bill with main phone companies, up to $10.000 dollars off in American cars). I get along with every salaried manager never had any issues, mainly because I know what my job code is, and I have very good work ethics. Overall I enjoy and like working there. Not many companies out there would promote you twice in less than 2 years with the company. O and last but not least, as a zone manager you don't have a set schedule, you are on rotation (3 days 8-5, 2 days 11-8), however I talked to my store manager and explained to him that I need set days off for my classes, no issues at all, changed my availability once and that was all it took.

Cons

To me there is no downside. I am not sure how other stores are, but at the store I work there is really no downside.

9586 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Cut hours and incompetent managers

Current Employee - Overnight Stock Associate in Cromwell, CT
    Current Employee - Overnight Stock Associate in Cromwell, CT

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Medical and dental plans for full time associates are competitive. Walmart will match up to 6% of 401k contributions, and a percentage of stock buy-ins. 3rd shift full time gets 40 hours / week.

Cons

Incompetent department managers are allowed to continue running departments despite incontestable evidence to their incompetence (audit sheets)
    2nd shift floor associates do not do their zoning tasks leaving it for 3rd shift.
    Actual hourly associate wages fall far far below Walmart's stated average for CT.
    Hourly associates and managers who work during store hours are usually scheduled for state required minimum hours for full time.
    Even 1 minute of overtime requires written "coaching"
    Managers are required as corporate policy to place negative statements on performance evaluations to reduce to potential annual wage increase.

Manage your associates, if they are "zoning" the same shelf for 2 hours they need to be given something else to do.
    Manage your inventory. I work a different department every night, but if I work the same department 2 nights in a row, I already know what inventory issues exist (too much/too little of item X) without checking on the Telzon. You work the same department every day, so you should have this figured out already.

Very good place to work but retail can wear you down

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Associate in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Wireless Sales Associate in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Quarterly bonus, usually good people and management, Insurance and 10% discount

Cons

I don't see any Career advancement unless you are into Retail management positions.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart