Experiences May Vary

Former Employee - Customer Service in Brookings, SD
Former Employee - Customer Service in Brookings, SD

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at a Wal-Mart in a college town. Most of the employees that I worked with were my age and we became good friends. The pay was good (plus our store achieved high numbers that resulted in strong profit sharing), the clientele were pleasant and hours were extremely flexible. Management was also easy to get along with and very approachable.

Cons

This is probably not the case for most Wal-Marts nationwide. I briefly worked at another location which was poorly run and serviced mainly difficult clientele. Retail is a difficult industry to work in for long periods of time, but there are worse than Wal-Mart.

Advice to Management

Make it easier to move to different departments. It keeps the job interesting and prevents long-term employees from constantly feeling passed over.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Life at a Big Box is met with Bitter Colleagues & Decent Opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are hard-working, intelligent, and come to work to do just that, you will stand out and you can build a career from the ground up with Walmart. Before I moved on, I was on a direct path to move into management at a local store, having only worked there for slightly less than a year.

Cons

Working at a local store meant working with many bitter "lifers" who hated the system they were working in. From my perspective, the fault is on their heads for not coming to work with the attitude that hard work gets you ahead in life. If you perform poorly, management does recognize that. To be fair though, WM often employees bitter, low performers. It's a revolving door of negative energy.

Advice to Management

Work towards empowering the local employees more and building a culture that makes them feel good about what they've got in life. Clearly explain how they can get ahead. Many of your employees are earning at a rate below the poverty line. Making their lives easier by paying them more might cut down on the animosity and angst that is so prevalent among WM employees.

2. Temp seasonal cashier

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Job was simple and easy You spend the first 5 days learning from first a computer to actually watching cashier at work until you are operating a cash register.

Cons

I was told I would be hired on by the store, then I was let go by corporate. All of the cash registers needed to be repaired and updated. The store I was in had just been redone 2yrs ago and there where missing keys on some registers and just plain broken registers.

Advice to Management

Don't hate the people under you so much.