There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Money is everything and workers mean little

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier  in  Greeley, CO
Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Greeley, CO

I have been working at Walmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a secure job.

Cons

They don't always stick to their policies because "the customer is always right."

Know your associates better

7999 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

I shouldn't be surprised

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier  in  Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Katy, TX

I have been working at Walmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

- reasonable breaks and lunches
    - the staff there are generally very friendly and understanding
    - you'll get a 10% discount card after working there for several months
    - you get a good gauge on what prices of items are
    - you can usually find a location within very close proximity. I've only know one person to have to drive a good hour to get to work. Personally, 15 minutes max.
    - Customers are generally friendly if you take the time to make small talk

Cons

- There are some extremely unpleasant people who come through the lines, but you learn to not let them get to you.
    - There's a lot going on in the store, and sometimes, as the final step of a persons shopping experience, you definitely get to feel it; mismatched prices, discontinued items....etc
    - you never really get an advantage on the sales and clearances. In fact if you are working the shift in which the store puts out the clearance, you can't even get your hands on any of it since you're on the clock
    - When I stopped working, they discontinued by 10%

There's honestly a lot of bad to this job, but hey, it's a lifeline that keeps your head afloat during bad times, so it's faiy

Life at a Big Box is met with Bitter Colleagues & Decent Opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are hard-working, intelligent, and come to work to do just that, you will stand out and you can build a career from the ground up with Walmart. Before I moved on, I was on a direct path to move into management at a local store, having only worked there for slightly less than a year.

Cons

Working at a local store meant working with many bitter "lifers" who hated the system they were working in. From my perspective, the fault is on their heads for not coming to work with the attitude that hard work gets you ahead in life. If you perform poorly, management does recognize that. To be fair though, WM often employees bitter, low performers. It's a revolving door of negative energy.

Work towards empowering the local employees more and building a culture that makes them feel good about what they've got in life. Clearly explain how they can get ahead. Many of your employees are earning at a rate below the poverty line. Making their lives easier by paying them more might cut down on the animosity and angst that is so prevalent among WM employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!