There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Good start but seems to be going downhill

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room for advancement if you can last long enough. Getting to help customers daily. Getting to train and develop others and watch them succeed.

Cons

Limited help to achieve daily tasks. Wants to rollout new innovations without proper staffing making it difficult to follow the new innovations. Upper management makes the job out to be easy. Everything is on a scorecard.

Advice to Management

Spend money on wages instead of cutting them to get profit. If stores are staffed, we can gain profit through sales by assisting our customers and achieving better in stock levels.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Life at a Big Box is met with Bitter Colleagues & Decent Opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are hard-working, intelligent, and come to work to do just that, you will stand out and you can build a career from the ground up with Walmart. Before I moved on, I was on a direct path to move into management at a local store, having only worked there for slightly less than a year.

Cons

Working at a local store meant working with many bitter "lifers" who hated the system they were working in. From my perspective, the fault is on their heads for not coming to work with the attitude that hard work gets you ahead in life. If you perform poorly, management does recognize that. To be fair though, WM often employees bitter, low performers. It's a revolving door of negative energy.

Advice to Management

Work towards empowering the local employees more and building a culture that makes them feel good about what they've got in life. Clearly explain how they can get ahead. Many of your employees are earning at a rate below the poverty line. Making their lives easier by paying them more might cut down on the animosity and angst that is so prevalent among WM employees.

2. Work smart, not hard - that's the challenge.

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Appropriate compensation at the management level.
    3 day on, 3 day off schedule
    401k contribution and company stock purchase program

Cons

Compensation, hourly level.
    Management expected to work extra hours to make up the gaps with staffing at the hourly level.

Advice to Management

Loosen the grip on wage control!