Low Pay No advancement

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harlan, KY
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harlan, KY

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with but that's about it.. Managers are friendly and its fun helping the customers. Coworkers were fun to be around

Cons

No room for advancement. Management does not say that care about your issues or problems. No time off and shifts very greatly

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

To Me, It's Just a Job But Nothing More

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Elkton, MD
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Elkton, MD

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

10% discount. The 401k, stock options, and quarterly myshare bonus potentials are great. Good pay, not to start , but after putting in a certain amount of time and the yearly raises adding up. Ability to have a set schedule (4 or 5 on and 2 or 3 off in a row) and good work/life balance (not day shift though). Personality wise- hourly non-management coworkers are mostly decent and they make the job (however, you need to watch your back around some of them).

Cons

Starting pay is crap. You will be lucky to start at not too much more than minimum wage anymore. Unless you work overnight or am in a management position, good luck getting full time. The work itself can be very hard and thankless at times with the lack of help. You would have to change your entire personality in a bad way to even considered being promoted. This includes lying and sweeping problems "under the rug". I've personally seen how much people can and do change. A lot of salaried managers treat you like crap and overwork you if you are a good worker. They drag their feet to get rid of the "dead weight" coworkers and teamwork is almost nonexistent. In 7 years, I can count on one hand how many managers through the years were decent (only 1 out of the 3 I currently have now). Health benefits are terrible and sometimes isn't worth having unless you really need to see a doctor and have nothing else.

Advice to Management

Believe it or not, just because we hourly non management workers are the lowest on the totem pole doesn't make us stupid. It would be nice if you all would listen to our ideas sometimes. Some of us are college educated and stuck in a bad job market and really intelligent. Some of us also don't want a promotion because life isn't all about the job, we have families, friends, and other activities going on that are more important and we value that over money and job power. We also would like to stick with our personal morals.

2. Its a very good place to work and to shop. Customers are really nice and most associates know where most things are at.

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Nice work Environment and Friendly Associates.

Cons

Sometimes slow and sometimes you get a few rude customers/associates.