Easy Advancement, Little Wages

Current Employee - Operations Manager
Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement - I've been with the company for 3 years and I've got 2 promotions. It's a huge company with a lot of opportunities available nationally and internationally. Also, fun fact, both my store and market manager started with the company as a cart pusher and spent a decade moving up to where they are today. Now, they're making 6 digits with bonus up to 110% of their salary. Culture - Sam Walton, found of Walmart, truly believe in 3 values; strive for excellence, respect for the individual, and service to our customers. The company culture is amazing and family oriented (however, it varies upon store). Customers - I love them (despite the bad ones).

Cons

Wage - If you're not salaried, you're overworked or underpaid. Holidays - The only day you'll ever see Walmart closed is on Christmas day. Therefore, expect to work all holidays. Also, holiday pay is eligible for qualifying associates on the following dates (New Years, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas). Hours - Expect to work weekends and stay long hours (up to 12 hour shifts). Also, it's a rotation schedule (varies upon store).

Advice to Management

Wage - Increase wage or yearly incentives Holiday - Consider closing earlier or allowing market/region make the vote for their store or area? Appreciate - Sam Walton truly believe the "Respect for the Individual", and I believe we don't thank our associates enough (ex. cashiers, maintenance, cart pushed, and etc.). They are the little ones who made the manager's job easier and thanking or acknowledging goes a long way.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. Your mileage may vary.

Current Employee - Hourly Manager
    Current Employee - Hourly Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had an overall positive experience at Walmart and it's the longest job I've held. The hours are okay and many of our part-time associates are given the option of going to full time usually after 6 months or so if they perform well. There is plenty of opportunity to move up: as a growing company as top hourly managers get promoted to salaried Assistants positions open up, usually on a 6-12 month basis. Most of my supervisors have been good to me and I haven't had any problems addressing concerns or presenting ideas.

Cons

My title says it all. I've been fortunate enough to be in a good store, in a nice neighborhood, run by a capable management team, staffed with (for the most part) mature adults, and visited by polite customers. However I have been to other stores on temporary assignments, have connections in other stores and I realize other associates may not be as lucky as I've been. All I can tell you is that some things do exist: callous, apathetic, or incompetent management, poor or non-existent management/associate communication, generally poor staffing (that hire literally anyone), or under-staffing, and of course what part of town/city/state/country the store is also a factor.

Advice to Management

One of our tenants is "listen to your associates." Unfortunately this contradicts the business model sometimes, and management has the tendency to get tunnel vision. While the associates are compartmentalized and don't see the whole picture they are in the trenches and they see what goes on in places you don't have time to look at more closely.

2. Employment at Walmart

Pros

Always room to advance toward a career

Cons

Rude people and overnight is slow