Easy Advancement, Little Wages

Current Employee - Operations Manager
Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement - I've been with the company for 3 years and I've got 2 promotions. It's a huge company with a lot of opportunities available nationally and internationally. Also, fun fact, both my store and market manager started with the company as a cart pusher and spent a decade moving up to where they are today. Now, they're making 6 digits with bonus up to 110% of their salary.

Culture - Sam Walton, found of Walmart, truly believe in 3 values; strive for excellence, respect for the individual, and service to our customers. The company culture is amazing and family oriented (however, it varies upon store).

Customers - I love them (despite the bad ones).

Cons

Wage - If you're not salaried, you're overworked or underpaid.

Holidays - The only day you'll ever see Walmart closed is on Christmas day. Therefore, expect to work all holidays. Also, holiday pay is eligible for qualifying associates on the following dates (New Years, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas).

Hours - Expect to work weekends and stay long hours (up to 12 hour shifts). Also, it's a rotation schedule (varies upon store).

Advice to Management

Wage - Increase wage or yearly incentives

Holiday - Consider closing earlier or allowing market/region make the vote for their store or area?

Appreciate - Sam Walton truly believe the "Respect for the Individual", and I believe we don't thank our associates enough (ex. cashiers, maintenance, cart pushed, and etc.). They are the little ones who made the manager's job easier and thanking or acknowledging goes a long way.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great! wonderful! I like it so much.

Current Intern - Pharmacist Intern in Athens, GA
    Current Intern - Pharmacist Intern in Athens, GA

I have been working at Walmart as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Best place to work at. Very professional

Cons

not flexible in hours. Hard to work and be in school

2. If you love people, you'll love Walmart.

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Mobile, AL

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great customer service experience, rarely any downtime, breaks on time, generally a fair environment, training is done on a computer, yet still very inclusive, on-the-job training consists of shadowing another for a week.

Cons

Coworkers are not the friendliest at times, Walmart has a habit of hiring people who don't like people. Cashiers like to complain, and the CSMs don't always get to your request in acceptable time. They don't like to hire people as full time and certainly are stingy on hours.

Advice to Management

I really liked my managers, however, they could have been much more impartial. They were very prejudiced based. You should applaud customer service instead of who can get the customer out the fastest, usually they're the really negative, rude, mean coworkers.