There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Wal-mart Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Monroe, NY
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Monroe, NY

I worked at Walmart

Pros

An overall good company, with advancement oportunities that depend on you. Has a good stucture in place to prevent people from abusing their power and making unfair decisions. Good relationships form between mgmt and the associates and in the majority of stores there is an overal positive energy.

Cons

As a salaried member of mgmt you are just a number. The "always take care of the associates" mentality does not seem to apply. You are asked to work rediculous hours at times, come in on days off, and are left responsible to achieve unrealistic expectations on a daily basis.

You get direction from many different sources which are uncoordinated that leave you unrealisticly trying to accomplish all these tasks but then you are being held responsible for your daily responsibilities at the same time. And there is always some major visit or event around the corner that forces you to work extra hours. You always think " I can't wait till this is over, but when it is something else comes up. It reminds me of the donkey chasing a carrot, hanging from a rope in front of him, tied to its head. Your chasing an illusion. Overall its a very stressful position and its compensation is rarely justified.

All members of management are people just like anyone else. And like anyone else they need to be recognized, thanked, respected, and treated as if their personal life matters. As an Assistant Mgr I can not lead others with a positive attitude when I am working seven days because a DM is not happy with my store, or when despite all that I have accomplished all I ever hear about is what I didn't do. Yet so often I have seen this type of expectation placed on us. If we are not happy with the company it will trickle down. Placing it in our job description to not let that happen does not prevent it by any means.

8418 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Great benefits, good hours, family oriented, competitive wages, a job that stays around, its not going out of business anytime soon

Cons

sometimes has management that lacks in people skills and leadership qualities. Also sometimes favoritism plays a role in decisions being made.

I personally think that management needs better training and not so many responsibilities that takes their time away from the customer and associates

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Customer Service- helping customers is the ultimate reward. Benefits are ok, by no means GREAT. Most of the people you work with are easy to get along with and most have good work ethic.

Cons

The Store Managers, and Co. Manager's pick their favorites and if you are not one of those then you better watch your back, because just doing your job isn't good enough.

Don't pick favorites. Your stores will be alot more successful if you actually promote people that work and don't cut the jobs of the people that have strong work ethics. It seems ALOT of management likes to promote the people that hang out with them on the salesfloor and the office.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart