Walmart
2.9 of 5 6,387 reviews
corporate.walmart.com Bentonville, AR 5000+ Employees

byword of company is cheap - in everything they do. Overworked, under paid and understaffed

Overnight Cashier (Current Employee)
Huntley, IL

I have been working at Walmart part-time for more than a year

ProsThe night shift crew are mostly hard workers, team players and good people to work with
$1.50 / hour bonus for working 3rd shift
Good company if you're a slacker - job performance doesn't as you'll never get fired unless you commit gross misconduct or break clear rules.

ConsBusiness ONLY hires part time, yet demands FT availability and commitment.
Very poor communication between management and staff, and esp between shifts
Very slow to promote if at all, doesn't reward hard workers over slackers by giving better/more hours, FT, promotion or better raises.
management keep their bonus' and numbers up by cutting hours and very basic costs. Our 'paid holiday's' are always balanced by shorting everyone 4- 8 hours the following week. Same with our 'My share' quarterly incentives. they always find a way to balance the books back to under budget.
Often have to work without basic supplies being replenished - like floor soap, paper towels, shopping bags, replacement displays, etc.
Corporate come up with ideas that aren't practical in real-life situations - they are out of touch with working a retail sales floor. They concentrate too much on reports and figures, stressing speed on paper over true efficiency by doing a job completely and correctly. this pushes staff to plug product on shelves, leave messes behind, skip necessary steps, sign off on MODS, inventory and reports when they haven't really been done, because someone above is pressuring them to do it FAST rather than RIGHT. more work in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementEVERY one needs to work EVERY shift a few times a year anonymously at another store to keep in touch with reality. It's obvious most upper level and corp people have no idea what it's like to work the floor.
Stop thinking like paper shufflers and think like a customer/ clerk. None of us will have jobs unless we make the customers happy and keep them spending $.
Open up more FT opportunities, pay increases and incentives/ rewards to encourage the hard workers to stay. We've lost many really good, conscientious workers because they are treated no differently than the dead weight slackers.

Great job. Great manager.

Overnight Stocker (Former Employee)
Coos Bay, OR

I worked at Walmart part-time for less than a year

Pros: I loved the team I worked with, they were great people and I just… Cons: The hours were late, and I had to commute. The pay… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Walmart part-time

Pros: can't really think of any Cons: Pay is terrible, training SUCKS and they STUPID rules. plus… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Walmart.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!

Walmart – Why Work for Us?

Our Businesses Our mission is to save people money so they can live better. And every division, business unit and department that makes up Walmart is committed to using our company’s size and scale to make the biggest… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walmart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Walmart CEO Doug McMillon. All reviews posted anonymously by Walmart employees.