There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Walmart a truly up and down experience

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Memphis, TN
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hands down compared to any other retailer in management Walmart provides a good work life balance. If you're on the day shift you work 3 days and you are off for 3 days and if you work nights you work 4 and you are off for 4 nights. The pay is pretty decent once you get in the salaried ranks of mgmt.

Cons

Very high expectations for floor associates for very little pay. Upper management love to point out what's wrong, but hardly ever know the why and how of why its wrong. They are rarely any help to find solutions to problems that most stores face at store level. Moving up in the salaried ranks has proven to be very difficult. It seems to be solely based on who you know and not what you know. I've seen too many incompetent individuals get promoted, but end up struggling or failing just cause they sucked up to the right individual. Turnover has proven to be ridiculous with this company. It's hard to manage when you constantly have hiring needs to fill. There's a rumor that mgmt schedules are going away from the 3 on and off system. If that happens its not gonna be worth it to work for this company in my opinion.

Advice to Management

I know payroll is the biggest expense but we gotta figure out a way to increase pay for the hourly associate. If we did this it would cut down on turnover and we could attract more quality associates.

reviews filtered by

Good Company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are many Opportunites to advance with in any store if you have the right attitude and determination, many locations, and its a stable stable company

Cons

Working esp in management can be Stressful, they keep cutting hours, which makes it hard to get things done that need to be without the people to do the work. Company has turned more task oriented, less customer service

Advice to Management

Allow us to have hours

2. Walmart is a big company!

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly associates, interacting with customers and provides supplemental income for retired folks. Flexible scheduling for associates attending school/college.

Cons

Hourly wages could stand to be increased is a general feeling among beginning associates. Changing procedures from original plan to an updated plan is confusing; Layaway last season was well underway when additional workload was added requiring additional identification of merchandise already stored in trailers. Precise prior planning at corporate level could have prevented this. This meant additional manhours and wages.

Advice to Management

Communication is vital.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart