There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

work ethics

Former Employee - Inventory Associate in Humble, TX
Former Employee - Inventory Associate in Humble, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

schedule was persistant, got my hours, one hour lunch break, 2 - 15 minute breaks, overtime when available

Cons

when the managers get mad an an employee the employee has a target on them from all managers

understand the employee situation, we are only human

8432 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Meh.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not terrible starting pay, I suppose... You'll eventually get discounts I'm told. And possible raises. And benefits maybe (was in a group of part-time and temps during orientation so not entirely sure) and you can check your schedule online...

Cons

Training isn't all that great. Let me tell ya. CBLs were mainly for spills and chemicals and other things about Walmart... which is good I guess. Except out of a crap ton of tests, most of which were all the same exact thing, only two were about actually being a cashier. Then, when you actually start training on the register, you get told how to do a bunch of things, and when you later think you're ready, you find out that you simply weren't... There's codes to remember, none of which are anywhere where you can look it up. You're told to ask questions or find someone if you need help but then the people that are supposed to be helping you either take a long time to get to you, or act annoyed that you have to keep bothering them. (Which wouldn't happen if you were told certain things the first time. Like how to take off certain security things...). And then the people in line get angry because 'you should really know this by now'. And if you bother them too much, like myself I suppose, they just take over for you long enough to get that customer out of the way, and then just leave. Not showing you how they did it, or doing it too fast for you to follow, and then you have to bother them once again. Which really sucks, btw. Because in the end you just can't win. Sometimes you need and order money and it either doesn't work (and then you ask someone and they say 'why didn't you order it') or they just don't bother. The people are nice for the most part, or have been, but even I can see I'm wearing on the nerves of some people... Which I really really hate doing. And while I'll admit, in the rush of things I might have messed up on a couple simple things. It can not be my fault when I'm not informed on how to go about certain things.

Slow down. Don't get grouchy when people need help or mess up or ask questions. Try not to (at least on purpose) be so slow when someone needs assistance. Don't make the person feel like they are an idiot or an inconvenience. (No need to walk over sighing, I can tell you're annoyed by my mere presence now.) And for the love of god, don't just do it for them and leave.

Entered as a manager and received two promotions to director in two years

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

There are a lot of ebbs and flows within Walmart. I was lucky enough to land in a area where there was a lot of flow and opportunity to impact the business. I see other areas where I would not have had the opportunities.

Cons

The focus on cost containment can create a culture shock for employees and their families. I came from a Fortune 100 company. My wife was shocked at the lack of company activities which involve the families of employees. It's been a little disappointing for her.

Loosen the purse strings when it comes to providing benefits to corporate employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart