Walmart

corporate.walmart.com
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Honesty is the Best Policy

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unlimited opportunity for advancement; hourly rate is higher than minimum wage;

Cons

Hourly positions no longer offer schedule flexibility that was once a big part of the walmart culture. Although opportunity for advancement is unlimited, not all store managers are active in assisting associates in their desire to move up. Part time hours can fluctuate a great deal from week to week, and full time positions are very few and far between.

Corporate office should be more in touch with the people issues that are going on in the stores, including those involving management.

9602 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Wal-Mart Sucks!!!!!

Former Employee - Wal Mart Manager in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Manager in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Room for advancement if you work hard and produce the results they set for you. This sounds easy...but if you are put in a bad location it can be difficult. Home Office benefits are great! Company culture is good in theory. Good pay for Home Office associates.

Cons

Poor pay, especially for hourly associates in the stores. Poor management, almost throughout the company. Not associate centered at all! It's all about the numbers...and believe me you are just a number. Will do anything to have to not pay you what you are worth or based upon experience. Good old boys club for sure...if you don't know someone, or are a man, you probably won't be going anywhere. I personally had 7 supervisors in a two year period, and at one time I had 2 supervisor at the same time in different departments. I was marked down on my evaluation because I didn't progress the program. But, who could with that many supervisors, all changing direction each time I moved.

Grow some balls and do what is right instead of always cowering down to your superiors. Push back some, if you know that it is the right thing to do. Treat people like you say you treat them. Quit retaliating against people who question authority. Have a little bit of consistency across the board. All in all, just have some morals!

Still missing Sam Walton

Former Employee - Department Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Always busy.
    Promotion from within.
    Employee discount is nice.
    Overtime on the holidays/ paid holidays.
    Things are always changing all the time.

Cons

Work/Life balance.
    Changes of entire company strategy frequently.
    Things are always changing all the time.
    Inconsistent corporate messages.
    POS system still not that great.

Consistency