Walmart

corporate.walmart.com
  corporate.walmart.com
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

As a cashier, the demands don't equal the compensation.

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of the job was getting to meet people and learn about them. Everyone has a story and goals that they are trying to achieve outside of the temporary job. There were people wanting to become hair stylists and computer techs. This was a job they put up with in order to make their dreams come true.

Cons

The long lines and limited staffing at night time. The salary was mediocre at best. There were many instances when the registers froze up and processing of government assistance would crash the registers daily.

Have more personnel during the night time hours, especially after 10 pm.

9064 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Not What I Expected

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marion, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marion, IL

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is one of the better retail jobs out there. You will need to work hard, but they will treat you right. I had one hour lunch breaks and paid 15 minute brakes for very 2 hours I'd work. The amount of hours they give you for a part time position is higher than most. I was also paid a dollar more than minimum wage even though I lacked retail experience, a huge plus! People in charge of training are competent and management is friendly. I would have stayed with the job if it had been easier to balance with school and life.

Cons

There were times when my department became extremely busy and there would not be enough staff to compensate. There was a high turn-over rate too. Also, once in awhile I would be doing things I wasn't initially hired to do.

I would be a little less blatant about how anti-union the company is to new employees. I understand the reasoning, but don't shove it into a employee's face on their first day of work. It comes off as sounding greedy.

Fun, busy, and enjoyable!

Current Employee - Courtesy Desk Associate
    Current Employee - Courtesy Desk Associate

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexible with college students' class/test schedules
    -Thorough training in expected departments
    -Co-workers become not only friends, but like family members
    -Discount is obviously a plus, especially around the holidays
    -Complaisant with associates needing last-minute schedule changes
    -Understanding with new associate "mess ups"
    -Long breaks/lunches
    -Numerous opportunities for advancement
    -Yearly raises

Cons

-Upper management undermines the authority or return/exchange decision made by a courtesy desk associate
    -"Roller Coaster Scheduling" (i.e. working 7am-4pm one day, 2pm-11pm the next, etc.)
    -Low pay does not reflect the large amount of work expected from every associate
    -Associates being paid for their primary job, but being scheduled in their secondary job for an overextended amount of time
    -Unwilling to hire for coverage in departments that need it most, then expecting someone to take on the responsibility of that department/area as well as do their own job
    -New management does not personally introduce themselves/lower associates are not notified of management changes whatsoever
    -Supplies are minimal and limited, such as: staplers, working registers, courtesy desk shelves propped up on random items instead of pegs
    -Organization is very hard to maintain, especially when miscellaneous items are brought to one's area and we are unable to just throw it away because "we might need it one day"
    -Very stressful on busier days where there are not enough cashiers scheduled, when there are 26 registers total

-Listen to lower-level associates, please! Every store's ratings would skyrocket if there was a way for associates to "suggest changes" without fear of retaliation.
    -As associates, we understand the holidays for a corporate business mean making the most money, we only ask that you are understanding of how tired and overworked associates are during the holidays when there are no temps or new employees hired.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart