Walmart

corporate.walmart.com
  corporate.walmart.com
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

This is where I learned to scan barcodes as a cashier. I also learned to set up displays.

Former Employee - Cashier/Housewares Associate in Mooresville, NC
Former Employee - Cashier/Housewares Associate in Mooresville, NC

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is truly an equal opportunity employer. (I actually last worked there in 1989.)

Cons

it is hard to get on full-time in order to receive full-time benefits.

Giving employees more independence incrementally serves to instill confidence and expertise.

9065 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

designed for you to fail

Former Employee - Meat Associate in Orland Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Meat Associate in Orland Hills, IL

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

30+ hours as a part timer. no real other pros to speak of. I feel like this company is a giant meat grinder that chews up it's associates to increase profits.

Cons

there were almost never enough of the tools needed to perform the basic duties of the job available at any given time and often required hunting them down throughout the store.

provide additional funds for Telxons and printers so they aren't fought over like children's toys; Implement random drug testing.

If you know the right people, you'll do well, especially if they like you.

Former Employee - Cashier in Wareham, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Wareham, MA

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Always something to do, so the time goes quickly. The other associates are, for the most part, fun to be around. Seeing the products people buy can be entertaining... Plus, it can help give ideas on what to buy.

Cons

Many of the members of management had "favorites" amongst the "regular" associates. So, if one of these favorites were caught doing something, like wasting time, not calling in when they're not going to able to come in, etc., it was fine. If a non-favorite was wasting time, or not spending a free second either calling to customers, or washing down the register or conveyor belt, they'd get yelled at or disciplined in some way.

Realize that the associates are working for crap pay, and know that all employees should be treated well. Don't have "favorites" that get special treatment, like more days off, overtime, or raises before people that actually deserve them. I was liked because I basically took up the slack when others couldn't come in, etc., yet the ones that were always calling in were the ones getting raises. It boggles the mind. Also, you should promote more from within, rather than hiring managers that need to be trained by non-management.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart