The Walton's should feel ashamed

Current Employee - Shift Manager
Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I am grateful to have a job that allows me the luxury to support my family. My pay is decent but not enough for all that I go through. The company talks a good game but lacks the ability to put their money where their mouth is.

Cons

I just can't believe that the Walton's are among the wealthiest people in the world and they choose to let their hourly associates live in poverty and pay so little that the associates have to get support from the government in order to survive. I feel embarrassed sometimes that I am witness to this horrible reality and can't do much about it. I do give some of my money when I see certain associates really struggling but I'm am not rich by any means.

Enforce the work/life balance plan. In my store it has never happened and my Manager will never do it unless he is forced because he feels that the managers will get disconnected. I will tell you that they are getting disconnected just by the resentment building up that they are treated so poorly.

Other Reviews for Walmart

Current Store Manager, used to love Wal-Mart, now, hate it.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ability to move up with little/no education, prepares you for other retail jobs, very detailed policies for everything

Cons

used to care about it's associates, now, they are simply bodies. understaffed, when I started, I had 5 associates just in my pets department... now I have 5 associates in the entire salesfloor in the evening. every year we cut payroll but add responsibility. We are micro-managed by corporate.. everyday I hear about a tour from the regional compliance mgr, regional asset protection mgr, buyers from the home office, market mgr, mkt or regional HR mgr, Regional merchandise mgr. Which means we have to break routine to accomodate what these managers will be looking for. Walmart sends too much direction from too many people.. just the other day, my manager found a bad pack of berries and told me I should write up my assistant manager because he should have seen it before we did.. I make $83,000 per year, just had an excellent visit from the regional manager, my sales increases are top 5 in the state and I am leaving this company for something that pays less.. why?? because Wal-Mart does not care about it's employees, and I cannot be a part of that.

cut the direction in half, find ways to cut costs in order to afford more employees, don't blanket manage your stores, what works in the country doesn't work in the city, etc. bring back merit raises for the hourly associates, they can barely afford to live. stop micro-managing, work on your inventory control programs to make them more associate friendly

Disappointing

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some very nice people worked there and some were very intelligent and helpful.

Cons

Not enough workers scheduled in departments to complete tasks. Too many managers giving contradicting directives. Customers have no associates to assist them.

Cut the salary management instead of the hourly employees. Hire more full time associates at a decent wage. Have Co-Department Managers so during the first and second shifts a dept. mgr. is on duty to properly manage the dept. and assist customers.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!