Walmart
2.9 of 5 6,371 reviews
corporate.walmart.com Bentonville, AR 5000+ Employees

Not okay for more than a stepping stone

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Walmart part-time for more than a year

Pros-I was given almost the amount of hours that I had requested.

-There was a lot of other people that worked there, so I made a few friends.

-There is an employee discount. It is only 10% and does not work on groceries. But hey, small discount.

Cons-They give a 25-cent raise per year, so you feel like you're progressing in the company. Eventually, though, they pay you more than you would be paid at any other company with your skill level, assuming you have no college education, while simultaneously putting a cap on your raises. So you essentially become trapped working for Walmart.

-Understaffed. They stretch their employees too thin, giving them too many jobs in one day, then being upset when not all of the work is done.

-Most stores are open 24/7, which means you can work for hours making an area look really nice and clean, come back the next morning, and find the place trashed. It's hard to feel satisfied when it looks like you never did anything.

-Poor management. There are too many managers that don't thoroughly communicate. Also, most managers there are not qualified to be managers. They were promoted from within with no training or direction on how to manage staff. Favoritism was often an issue in the departments I worked in.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out your communication issues better, please. The district manager yells at the store manager, who yells at the shift manager, who yells at the associate manager, who yells at the zone manager, who yells at the department manager, who yells at the sales associate. Each tier has someone yelling at them, but those at the bottom have massive amounts of wrath raining down. All of the managers are stressed and seem to pass that down to the lowest members on the chain.

A Company based on countryside values turns its ugly head

Maintenance (Current Employee)
Millville, NJ

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: nice pay, great benefits-other than that, NOTHING. Very loosely organized, more emphasis on hiring… Cons: Very tightly controlled (as far as workloads and management agendas go), "boot camp"-like environment for most (except for those who are slackers, who contribute little… Advice to Senior Management: Allow your store Associates to participate in providing customer service and to perform their other duties by the end of their work days rather than… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Hard Work Long Hours, Great Opportunity

Field Project Supervisor (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Opportunity is there if you are looking for endless varieties of jobs. Associates become family and very close friendships are developed. Bonuses are great, travel… Cons: Hours can be long, direction often miss communicated on… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to the customers and associates, stress levels are at all time highs because of the amount of work being pushed onto… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Walmart.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!

Walmart – Why Work for Us?

Our Businesses Our mission is to save people money so they can live better. And every division, business unit and department that makes up Walmart is committed to using our company’s size and scale to make the biggest… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walmart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Walmart CEO Doug McMillon. All reviews posted anonymously by Walmart employees.