There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Not okay for more than a stepping stone

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-I was given almost the amount of hours that I had requested.

-There was a lot of other people that worked there, so I made a few friends.

-There is an employee discount. It is only 10% and does not work on groceries. But hey, small discount.

Cons

-They give a 25-cent raise per year, so you feel like you're progressing in the company. Eventually, though, they pay you more than you would be paid at any other company with your skill level, assuming you have no college education, while simultaneously putting a cap on your raises. So you essentially become trapped working for Walmart.

-Understaffed. They stretch their employees too thin, giving them too many jobs in one day, then being upset when not all of the work is done.

-Most stores are open 24/7, which means you can work for hours making an area look really nice and clean, come back the next morning, and find the place trashed. It's hard to feel satisfied when it looks like you never did anything.

-Poor management. There are too many managers that don't thoroughly communicate. Also, most managers there are not qualified to be managers. They were promoted from within with no training or direction on how to manage staff. Favoritism was often an issue in the departments I worked in.

Sort out your communication issues better, please. The district manager yells at the store manager, who yells at the shift manager, who yells at the associate manager, who yells at the zone manager, who yells at the department manager, who yells at the sales associate. Each tier has someone yelling at them, but those at the bottom have massive amounts of wrath raining down. All of the managers are stressed and seem to pass that down to the lowest members on the chain.

8536 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Well, in brief, it was much like having your soul, will power, and motivation drained each time you clock in.

Former Employee - SES Associate in Belleville, IL
    Former Employee - SES Associate in Belleville, IL

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Honestly, if I had to come up wit a "pro", I would have to say the best part of working at Walmart was the moment you were able to clock out or, better yet, the days you are not scheduled.

Cons

For the purpose of not getting carpel tunnel syndrome, I will have to simply make this response short. If I had to chose one thing, it would have to be darn near everything.

Treat people like human beings. Perhaps you may want to begin with treating employees the way you, yourself, would like to be treated.

Short Term Stepping Stone...

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Schedule flexibility potential due to operating 24 hour locations

Cons

Constantly cutting hours, even at higher volume locations, doesn't hire full time for cashiers, sales associates, maintenance, cart-pushers, or Customer Service Managers. Must know someone to get hired.

Take Associate livelihood and financial stability into greater consideration as well as monitor hiring practices within retail store facilities

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart