There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Couldn't get themselves together

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Iola, KS
Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Iola, KS

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not hard work really overall.

Cons

I was told many different ways to do one job. If you weren't doing it they way of whichever manager walked up, they would say you were wrong.
Also while being trained, I was told they were sticking me with someone for 5 minutes and they never came back for me!

Get together and figure it out.

8389 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Not what it used to be.

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working in transportation is fun.

Cons

Working in warehouse is not fun.

Practice what they teach associates.

Not okay for more than a stepping stone

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-I was given almost the amount of hours that I had requested.

-There was a lot of other people that worked there, so I made a few friends.

-There is an employee discount. It is only 10% and does not work on groceries. But hey, small discount.

Cons

-They give a 25-cent raise per year, so you feel like you're progressing in the company. Eventually, though, they pay you more than you would be paid at any other company with your skill level, assuming you have no college education, while simultaneously putting a cap on your raises. So you essentially become trapped working for Walmart.

-Understaffed. They stretch their employees too thin, giving them too many jobs in one day, then being upset when not all of the work is done.

-Most stores are open 24/7, which means you can work for hours making an area look really nice and clean, come back the next morning, and find the place trashed. It's hard to feel satisfied when it looks like you never did anything.

-Poor management. There are too many managers that don't thoroughly communicate. Also, most managers there are not qualified to be managers. They were promoted from within with no training or direction on how to manage staff. Favoritism was often an issue in the departments I worked in.

Sort out your communication issues better, please. The district manager yells at the store manager, who yells at the shift manager, who yells at the associate manager, who yells at the zone manager, who yells at the department manager, who yells at the sales associate. Each tier has someone yelling at them, but those at the bottom have massive amounts of wrath raining down. All of the managers are stressed and seem to pass that down to the lowest members on the chain.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart