Walmart

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Wal-Mart Sucks!!!!!

Former Employee - Wal Mart Manager in Bentonville, AR
Former Employee - Wal Mart Manager in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Room for advancement if you work hard and produce the results they set for you. This sounds easy...but if you are put in a bad location it can be difficult. Home Office benefits are great! Company culture is good in theory. Good pay for Home Office associates.

Cons

Poor pay, especially for hourly associates in the stores. Poor management, almost throughout the company. Not associate centered at all! It's all about the numbers...and believe me you are just a number. Will do anything to have to not pay you what you are worth or based upon experience. Good old boys club for sure...if you don't know someone, or are a man, you probably won't be going anywhere. I personally had 7 supervisors in a two year period, and at one time I had 2 supervisor at the same time in different departments. I was marked down on my evaluation because I didn't progress the program. But, who could with that many supervisors, all changing direction each time I moved.

Grow some balls and do what is right instead of always cowering down to your superiors. Push back some, if you know that it is the right thing to do. Treat people like you say you treat them. Quit retaliating against people who question authority. Have a little bit of consistency across the board. All in all, just have some morals!

9019 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Still missing Sam Walton

Former Employee - Department Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Always busy.
    Promotion from within.
    Employee discount is nice.
    Overtime on the holidays/ paid holidays.
    Things are always changing all the time.

Cons

Work/Life balance.
    Changes of entire company strategy frequently.
    Things are always changing all the time.
    Inconsistent corporate messages.
    POS system still not that great.

Consistency

Trailing spouse -- Highly qualified look for other opportunities

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, sustainability initiatives, serve the community are outstanding within WMT. Work/life balance is good.

Cons

Downsides of working at Walmart is the ability to receive a promotion based off of hard work and efforts versus "popularity" within the organization. Many receive promotion based on their network and if they're liked. Not fair especially if the associate is not capable of handling job responsibilities and leans to others for support. Develop socioeconomic activities and entertainment venues. Salary and benefits could improve. Eliminating the 9 hour work shift for management associates. Ridiculous.

Disregard hourly associates. Many who acquire roles with WMT have trailing spouses. Majority of the trailing spouses are educated with experience and can't get into management roles. Develop a type of program/career fair for trailing spouses to interview for potential opportunities. Currently the Recruiting Department lacks this support. This will eliminate splitting families up in different states due to economic and financial hardship.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart