Walmart, from a recruiter's perspective...

Former Employee - Senior Management Recruiter  in  Bentonville, AR
Former Employee - Senior Management Recruiter in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart

Pros

to learn how to have a backbone, no better place or culture to work
learn it hard, learn it well
learn EVERY aspect of retail and how to work a VERY demanding job
you earn a lot of respect by working HARD, VERY HARD
Stay clean and stay VERY focused
Good ole-fashioned work ethic will take you far here
You, the individual, can absolutely affect retail, as a whole
NO OTHER work environment compares; once you do WM, you've pretty much done it and it's FABULOUS on one's resume
After WM, most other positions are CAKE!
Expect fast-paced, no frills, take action kind of people and environment... which is very surprising to people from big city or very structured corporate environments... ain't NOTHIN' fancy goin' on here... simply HARD work and tons of raw talent, along with ingenuity... capped with lots of frustration often times!

Cons

corporate politics DO exist
they can truly mistreat people so watch your back at all times
you'll work your BUTT OFF, every single day. So just expect it, do it, and learn from every situation
Complaining won't get you very far at WM home office; you're there to do a job

Stick to core moral ethics, which most of the WM's leaders do... but there are a few. Do the best to get those individuals OUT of the home office although I know from personal experience that there is little that one can do to affect that level of change. We all know who they are and it's disrespectful to allow them to continue with certain behaviors.

Other Reviews for Walmart

Don't work for Wal-Mart

Former Employee - Zone Manager  in  Glenolden, PA
    Former Employee - Zone Manager in Glenolden, PA

I worked at Walmart

Pros

The people are nice, but I felt that with my experience I should have been offered a higher-level management position. I needed the job at that point, but you need to be in position 6 months before being considered for promotion.

Cons

Being looked down upon by management who are fresh out of college and have much less experience. They were not all like that, but it's unnecessary to be treated as though you are inferior.

Look at people's qualifications and make hiring decisions based on proven track record of success. Pay salaries that are within a reasonable range based on experience.

Disposable when you start making more than they like.

Former Employee - Department Sales  in  Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Department Sales in Macon, GA

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Customers appreciate your efforts because its rare. Ecspecially now that most employed are part-time and don't care.

Cons

Managers loose their cool and actually yell at you. They are obivously catching hell.

Chill out, it's just a job. When they are done with you you'll be applying for another. If they don't completey kill your rep.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!