There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Good entry-level job that teaches fundamental skills

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Valencia, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Valencia, CA

I worked at Walmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best aspect of working for Walmart is definitely the people you get to work with. Most of the employees share a positive vibe and view the whole job with a sense of humor.

Cons

Low salary is the most negative aspect of employment with Walmart. I was not able to support myself with near full time hours at the base pay. The pay may be alright for a young adult going through school and still living with parents or maybe even living with several roommates, but definitely unable to go solo.

Have faith in your employees, learn and respect their individuality

8092 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

A life changing experience.

Current Employee - Building Performance Specialist - REL  in  Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Building Performance Specialist - REL in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It's the largest retailer and has multiple career opportunities.

Cons

On the other hand, it's a no frills company and some the cost saving measures are over the top.

Loosen the restrictions on raises.

This is the greatest professional experience I have ever had.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time

Pros

Where do i even start.

This position is a blast, and it is one that I never guessed I would ever find myself doing in my wildest dream. I analyze social media for one of the most hated and talked about retailers in the US: what is not to love about that??

The people are extremely nice. All of them are very helpful and accessible (I was greeted in the hallways on my way to the cafeteria and then did a double-take when I realized the fellow i just passed was the CEO). During my first week I learned someone I thought was a fellow analyst and was pestering with questions was actually a senior manager; when I learned and profusely apologized he insisted that I continue asking him any question I needed.

The company is enormous, but it feels extremely tight-knit and they work very hard to make it seem this way. It is a really great feeling, because it feels so much like any other position (balancing long and short-term projects, gathering data and making reports) that I have to stop and remind myself every once in a while that I am working for the big bad guy.

Advancement and cross-training is very strongly encouraged, and I am looking forward to continuing my career in the company by switching to something else should social media not hold my attention.

We have access to an enormous array of very advanced tools, some really cutting edge stuff, to do our work. If we need a different functionality, all we must do is ask and we either already have something for that purpose, or we can request a sample and those companies would be happy to provide.

The employees here are brilliant. I feel as though I stepped into an Ivy League forum sometimes because the caliber of the people here is unreal. It is awesome for me because I feel constantly improve and do better, which helps me feel so much better about my work when I have a report that I feel is better than one I sent out yesterday.

The office is has all the amenities: coffee, cafeteria, little store, fed-ex; there is access to the health club and to Sam's Club which you can opt in for; apparently there is childcare as well and other stuff for families.

Finally, the work itself is a blast. I used to do check on social media trends for my own enjoyment during school, so spending 9 hours a day doing it and getting to tell people about what I found for pay is even better!

Cons

No offense to the residents, but Bentonville sucks. There is very little to do here.

-The home office is very spartan, and all of the brand coloring and logos and lettering looks more at home in a pre-school than a major retailer.

-The organization is massive. I know who I directly report to, but I have no idea who anyone else is around me.

-The organization is enormous and while there are all sorts of programs for the associates, it is impossible to find information about them all and learn what they are and how to join them.

-Did I mention the organization is large? For me, it is hard to understand where I personally fit in. This makes it hard to track your own worth, since you hand in a report to your direct supervisor and you are not likely to see what happens to the information and whether/how it leads to a decision once they pass it on to the "management black hole". Some of the older managers don't understand social, so beyond pointing to a couple of big wins, it is hard for me to communicate understand how I am adding value on a day to day basis, because I can only speculate.

-no discount card for the first 90 days.

-No health insurance for the hourly home office associates.

-Yes I know about peopleofwalmart.com. No, I don't think its funny, because I believe "those" customers deserve the same respect as the "normal" person taking the picture.

Couple things:

-the internal website is completely unusable. You have to have someone helping you every step along the way to find the one poorly named tool you are looking for if it is not on the front page, because there is no other way to find it. Needs a better and more intuitive layout.

-Get together a big old folder (it can even be a single massive Welcome email to all new hires!) and any organization that wants new members puts their contact info into the folder so that we have a list of all of the on-campus groups and things we can participate in. You have all of these groups for your employees (toast-masters, community involvement, sports team), but why are you not telling new hires about them!?

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!