There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Store Mgr. / District & Market Mgr.

Former Employee - Market Manager in Greenville, SC
Former Employee - Market Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They promote within based on work performances as well as job and People Skills. I started out as a Stock Clerk and through hard work and dedication was promoted to Dept. Mgr., to Asst Mgr., to Store Mgr., to District Mgr. and then to Market Mgr.

Cons

Works hours are normally 48-52 per week. A lot of time is spent with irate associates and Customers. Upper Mgmt. at times, have no idea, how hard the associates work to make their Store successful, and I feel they should be making a higher pay-check.

Never forget the Hourly Associates as they are the ones who makes This Company successful. Continue to promote within, vs. bringing New Mgmt. in from other Companies.

8400 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Not A Good Long-Term Job!

Former Employee - Cashier in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rochester, MN

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a cashier, I really enjoyed working with the general public and being able to interact with people. I really felt that it helped me develop and refine my social skills and I found great satisfaction in helping others by being the very best at what I did.

Cons

The management doesn't make you feel like you're valued and part of that is not paying you anywhere near what they should. I worked there for 3 years and they really seemed to do everything they possibly could to take advantage of me without giving a proper return. An example of this was that they did everything that they could to mark you as low as possible for your yearly review so they could give you the lowest pay raise bracket. I had this happen each year despite many customers contacting management (either directly or through emails) complementing me on how well I did my job and how I went above and beyond in all that I did. Don't work at Walmart unless you don't have any other choice, even then try and find a better job the soonest you can.

You need to show that you genuinely care about your employees and don't just give them a run around. They need to know that you really appreciate the good work that they do and one of the ways you can do that is give them PROPER AND ACCURATE reviews so they actually receive the pay raises they deserve. Please don't just treat your employees as merely replaceable because how you care for your employees is directly related to how well they will take care of your customers.

I think one of the most valuable pieces of advice that I could give for those in management is to try and spend a day or at least part of a day (as time permits) and fill the duties of each position in the store you are able to. This way you can really get to know not only your employee well but you will have a greater awareness of what's going on in your store and you can receive input from everyone that will help your store go above and beyond for the people that get the job done.

As just a side note, Sam Walton was a great, visionary man that took great care of those that worked WITH him. If he could see what Walmart's become I'm sure that he'd be ashamed of it. If Walmart management would slow down and realize that doing the morally right thing is more important than the "All Mighty Dollar" (and gets you further ahead in the long run) then Walmart would honestly become a much better store all around, both for those who work there and those who shop there.

Totally Unorganized Upper Management

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Meeting New People, Customer Service, The Day Goes by fast.

Cons

Pay, Poor Benefits, Not organized, little or no training,

grow a pair