There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Walmart Culture has changed. Isn't what it used to be...

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Bentonville, AR
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only positive about Walmart is it is such a large company there are always job opportunities.

Cons

I read both Soderquist and Sam Walton's books after accepting a management position at Walmart. The culture I encountered during the 3 years I was at Walmart in no way reflected the stories in either book. The culture has changed for the worse...lots of MBAs from Ivy League schools have been brought in to high level management and they completely disregard the Culture that Soderquist and Sam worked hard to create.

Get back to your roots. Get back to helping hourly associates and lower level management instead of finding ways to pay them less and work them harder.

8163 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Walmart Underpays it's employees

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Goddard, KS
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Goddard, KS

I worked at Walmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

Promoted quickly over several departments.
    Became the "Impact Leader" that was afraid to speak up
    Training
    Some corporate CEOs are easy to address on issues

Cons

Hiring an firing employees for the unethical tactics
    Store management, Assistant Mgrs were clearly not trained.
    Zone Managers over department managers should have equal pay
    UNFAIR PAY
    Bonuses to store management an assistant management is awarded to but NEVER given to associates that has an will forever be the Real Backbone of the retail giant.

END your bonus money you get from corporate an give if to higher job pays instead. Your associates are the ones who need it more then you. You management folk eat, breathe and now down to every single word that Sam Walton spoke. Now if he was alive today, an view how his retail company treats it's assiocates no better then a cotton picker. You management an corporates, need to live a pay period in assiocates shoes an department managers an then you'll finally grasp what I'm speaking of. Till then I will never respect you as a human.

You really don't want to work here.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Walmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Sincerely trying to think of something positive here, but I simply can't. It's better than fast food. You would be well advised to treat this as a transitional job while you look for something better.

Cons

Low pay.
    Poor training.
    You start as a temporary associate, where you can work up to 40 hours per week. After 180 days, with good performance you will be offered a part time position.
    Unpredictable schedules. Your schedule changes everyday. One day you might work until 11PM, and then be scheduled to come in at 7AM the following morning. Days off change every week and are rarely together.
    You are frequently asked to cover multiple departments because they do not schedule enough people.

Take a lesson from Costco.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!