There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Excellent promotion opportunity gives non-college graduates a chance at the American Dream.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promotion opportunity, yearly raises, true EEO, great place to build a resume, discount at Walmart, great place to make friends.

Cons

Blatant disdain from the general public has forced many of my friends from the job. People treat Walmart employees far worse than the company has ever been rumored to. Pay is small until you earn a couple promotions. Hours can vary.

Advice to Management

Strive for excellence shouldn't mean strive for profit. Respect for the individual and service to our customers should mean a well-staffed store, even if that payroll digs into the bottom line a little more.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. walmart might be a giant but they keep you busy.

Former Employee - Cashier-seasonal in Newington, CT
    Former Employee - Cashier-seasonal in Newington, CT

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fun coworkers. fast pace. holidays were always a surprise. customer service managers very helpful to new employees(at least to me). water allowed at register.

Cons

short breaks ,standing at register warranted. . chairs or stools would be nice. customers sometimes in a big hurry and forget to be a little nicer. fingertips wear out opening all those bags.

2. A good company to work for all things considered.

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As long as I show up at work and do my job, I feel I will always have a job. In my time working at Walmart I have never heard of layoffs. The wages are slightly better than other similar stores in the area. Health benefits are affordable.

Cons

The store where I work is understaffed, putting a workload on my coworkers that is extremely difficult to carry. Meanwhile, recent hour cuts are making it very difficult to make ends meet. These problems are causing a major drop in moral among my coworkers.

Advice to Management

Happy employees = happy customers. Regardless of how much you lower prices, customers will return if they are treated properly or will shop elsewhere if not. If you take steps to improve employee moral it will lower your turnover. When staffing is sufficient, employees will gladly help customers and profits will increase. Employees were much happier when Sam Walton was alive, but the company has drifted from his ways over the years. I believe Walmart will benefit greatly if it returns to Walton's business model. Walmart does a lot of things right. That is the reason it is still a very successful company. It could improve and become a greater company if it examines what Walton did right and what other companies do right and continue adopting better policies.