Worst job I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Cashier
Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot I can say here. The only thing I liked was getting a pay check. I also liked that your schedule was posted on-line.

Cons

Managers tend to stand around and not do anything.
The hours scheduled to work do not allow you to have a life outside of work.
"Friends" of managers tend to not to there job, but not get in trouble for it.
Customers make my life overly stressed.
Difficult to change from cashier position to non-cashier position.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally and do not pick favorites.

reviews filtered by
  1. Cart Pusher - Walmart Review

Former Employee - Courtesy Associate (Cart Pusher) in Snellville, GA
    Former Employee - Courtesy Associate (Cart Pusher) in Snellville, GA

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's good exercise and you get a lot of time to yourself, if that's your thing like it is mine. They let me listen to music while I worked as well. Management doesn't constantly breathe down your neck, either, as long as you do the job.

Cons

The store constantly kept the cart pushers understaffed, and as a result, we struggled to keep up on busy days like holidays, and management gets on your case when that happens. They don't care that it's impossible to keep up in these circumstances with just two people (sometimes there was even only one guy there and they still yell at you). You have to work in extreme heat and cold, depending on where you live, and in any weather that's not a thunderstorm.

Benefits are pretty minimal and only become available after two years with the company. The pay isn't that good considering how grueling it can be on some of the really hot and humid days, which, being in Georgia, is almost every day after April.

Hours were pretty constant, amount-wise, but all over the place when it comes to time of day. It makes it hard to have a regular life when you don't have any kind of regular days off, But that's how retail works, unfortunately.

Management expects too much and regularly demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding for how the job works, so many times when they tell us to do something a certain way that would significantly hinder productivity, we found ourselves having to ignore it. Because if we didn't, we'd fall behind, the carts would get low, and we'd get yelled at for that. Management can also be really slow with addressing things that need fixing, like the electric cart mule, but that's more down to individual managers than in general. My immediate manager ignored it for a week, but when another manager noticed it wasn't working, a call was made and the mule was fixed within 4 hours.

Advice to Management

Understand that cart pushers can only work so quickly, and are limited by the speed of the cart mule. Keeping cart pushers understaffed will inevitably lead to falling behind on weekends and holidays, and there's only so much a cart pusher can do to try to pick up the pace.

2. Not enough manning

Former Employee - Frozen Dairy Stocker in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Frozen Dairy Stocker in Charleston, WV

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work required was very simple and required little to no effort. Scanning system was simple and easy to learn.

Cons

Never enough employees to cover all shifts and managers would often ask employees to work when they were unavailable (during college classes or other obligations)

Advice to Management

Control Supervisors