Wal-mart is a terrible place to work, and they don't care about they're empolyees

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker  in  Gettysburg, PA
Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Gettysburg, PA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Not many other than it gives a good base for a young person to start off of, and the people you work with are great. Depending on how well the store does you get a special amount in your check sometimes reaching $400 in certain quarters, but sometimes you only get around $60. You get holiday if you have been there 90 days.

Cons

Management Plays favorites and sometimes it seems as if home office does not care about they're employees. They deny any request to have off on saturdays. They have a knack for screwing people out of their 40 hours. They don't do well notifying people when they are elegible for health insurance. If your store remodels walmart makes the employees pay for it out of their myshare. They don't do well when it comes to letting people have a flexible schedule. Sometimes you will find yourself doing things that are not in your job code. You work all holidays. Absoloutely no over time.

Start caring about your employees and make sure that the store managers are fit for the job before you give them it.

Other Reviews for Walmart

A very tough place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart

Pros

More direct contact with senior management. Wal-Mart has a flatter organizational hierarchy comared to most companies. Along with that, the entire home office is located in one geographical area (Bentonville). This allows more contact with directors and senior management.
    If you're a hard worker, regardless of educational background, you could find vast opportunities to move up the corporate ladder.

Cons

Wal-Mart has a minimum 45 hour work week, but most employees would consider themselves lucky to only work that many hours a week due their enormous work load. There is a cult-like atmosphere which may make some people feel a bit uncomfortable. This involves meetings that start off with the Wal-Mart cheer. As everyone has probably heard, Wal-Mart has relatively poor benefits. Wal-Mart always seems to be in some sort of controversy whether deserved or not.

Work to improve image and employee morale.

Moving up or moving out?

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Marietta, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marietta, OH

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Wal-Mart tends to have open communication with thier associates. Even as someone on the bottom of the career ladder, I feel that I am always well informed of whats going on within the company. ( This is made a lot easier with use of the internet, and the Wal-Mart Wire)

Cons

A downside of Wal-Mart, as a sales associate, is that its very hard to feel satisfied with the job you have done that day. There is always more to do. Ofcourse this depends on the department you work in. I have also felt at times that there are to many bosses. You must answer to your dept manager, your assistant manager, your co-manager...and the list goes on. It often feels that you are pulled in to many directions at once, and that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

The biggest downfall for me has been what I see as a lack of opportunity for advancement. Wal-Mart promotes that they advance from within, which I have seen, however I have also seen people brought in from outside the company. And in my store people tend to stick around for years, even if its only a dept manager position. Dept manager is the first stepping stone if you want to move up the ladder, though these positions are rarely open.

There is a quote by Sam Walton hanging in our breakroom that says listen to your associates, they are the greatest idea generators we have. (or something close to that) I think this company needs to take that statement to heart, and actually implement it.

The people who do the grunt work day after day, have many ideas to save the company time and money. This would greatly improve morale, at the very least. I think a lot of associates feel overlooked.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!