Walmart

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Awful place to work

Former Employee - Maintenance in Boonville, MO
Former Employee - Maintenance in Boonville, MO

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

co-workers and discounts available to employees

Cons

rules,over-time not allowed and if you get it they take it away or make you take off.not enough employees to fill work load.

be more understanding and don't be so rude and or pushy

10047 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Never Imagined I'd Work There

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Schedule started out good with a three-on three-off rotation of 12-13 hour shifts. It has recently changed to 5 days with a mix of morning, mid-day and evening shifts till 10. Overnight Assistants still work 4 on 4 off, but the shifts are grueling and the first day off is just recuperating.
    Benefits are ok. Better than most, not as good as some.
    Pay can be ok. I made more at another large grocery chain. That company was horrible too, but in some ways I wish I'd stayed.

Cons

Difficult to get promoted. I was told when hired as an assistant that I could possibly be a shift manager after a year. Even with 25 years in retail with other large companies, I still wasn't prepared for that promotion after 2 years.
    Micromanaging to the max. Way too many changes to get used to. Computer information system is a joke and impossible to find info you need quickly.
    Serious lack of staffing and poor pay. Walmart gets what they pay for. Turnover is atrocious because associates realize the workload doesn't justify the pay.
    The company has a horrible track record with major consumer surveys. Everything from customer service to cleanliness is always rated poorly. I'm almost ashamed to work for such a poorly respected company.
    Holidays. Need I say more? Black Friday is now Black Thursday. Gets earlier every year. Need to keep up with the Jones's I guess. There is nothing at any price that is worth going through that hassle.
    Walmart has a poor track record of being a bully and putting small companies out of business. I've seen it where a town fought Walmart's entry but they decided to build just outside the city limits.

Invest in the lower level associates who actually make the money for the company!
    Quit micromanaging! You pay store managers top dollar. Let them be creative and run their stores.
    There are way too many "scorecards" and "metrics" to measure performance. Even with these guides, stores are still out of stock, have poor customer service, and overall poor customer satisfaction.

Poor Values

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sumter, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sumter, SC

I worked at Walmart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They have excellent systems and are obviously the leader in retail. There are plenty of opportunities to advance and try different things whether in the store or in Bentonville.

Cons

The idea that a bunch of temporary employees would be excited to work for minimum wage in a constantly changing and tumultuous environment is simply delusional!

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart