Walmart

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Moving to Optical was the best choice I've ever made at Walmart

Current Employee - Associate
Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management inside the vision center is amazing and easy to work with. You have a closer contact with corporate, so your ideas have a better chance of being heard and implemented. Compared to the retail environment on the other side of our "glass door," it's a low-stress environment. Quite a pay raise too, as there are many laws you must abide by. On the same note though, this means you're well trained by the time you actually start handling patient orders, as opposed to just being thrown in after a couple of CBLs'. Associates get a 20% discount on the first pair of glasses/contacts, everyone else just gets the same discount on a second pair.

Cons

Thus far, I have not had any issues with the Vision Center specifically. However, as a store, since we're not brand new, the technology is outdated. One of the monitors is still a CRT. The SMART system used for ordering is older than I am, which in terms of technology, is ancient. Also, if you're part time, even if you only work a few hours less than a full-timer, you have to wait twice as long for certain benefits. For instance 2 years for vacation/medical. Also, the company did away with the 90 day evaluation bonus, Sunday compensation, overnight compensation, and they frown on overtime, even when they're incredibly understaffed.

Please focus on providing the tools needed by your associates to doing their job; by this I mean updating technology so that processes become more streamlined and replacing old technology to avoid major mishaps and slow system response.

10008 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Department Manager

Former Employee - Department Manager in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Savannah, GA

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is resonable depending on departments. I was able to move from stocker to department manager in 3 years. In one store (in Western USA), the managers cared about you and wanted you to succeed and taught you everything you needed to know. I had some personal issues arise and that store was more than willing to help me out in any way possible.

Cons

I worked 3 different stores in 6 years and in two different states, one in the west and the other 2 in the east, and all three were run differently depending on the store manager. The two managers on the east coast ran their stores differently from each other but neither was a good experience. Neither was involved with their associates or seem to acknowledge them unless something was wrong. One would sit in his office and the co-managers would all "run" the store and seeing as how they rotated, everything changed depending on who was working. The other store manager would just send his issues through the grapevine. Most of the work is 16hrs worth in a day that they want done in 8hrs because you're not allowed overtime and forget about having associates there to help you because "the schedule is what it is."

Acknowledge your associates more and care about them instead of walking past them everyday without even looking in their direction or when you do look in their direction, SAY SOMETHING! Even if it's just a good morning. My manager in the West knew everyone's name and even sent out birthday and new years cards signed himself, and his store was twice as big as the two stores in the East! Let people know you care for them rather than they're just another person you have to pay.

Fortunate to have had great supervisors and coworkers.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Went from part time associate to department manager in less than three months.

Cons

I was left to fend for myself as a new manager and new hires are paid the same as people who have been there for years

Have someone in charge who is willing to train and mentor.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart