Department Manager

Former Employee - Department Manager in Savannah, GA
Former Employee - Department Manager in Savannah, GA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is resonable depending on departments. I was able to move from stocker to department manager in 3 years. In one store (in Western USA), the managers cared about you and wanted you to succeed and taught you everything you needed to know. I had some personal issues arise and that store was more than willing to help me out in any way possible.

Cons

I worked 3 different stores in 6 years and in two different states, one in the west and the other 2 in the east, and all three were run differently depending on the store manager. The two managers on the east coast ran their stores differently from each other but neither was a good experience. Neither was involved with their associates or seem to acknowledge them unless something was wrong. One would sit in his office and the co-managers would all "run" the store and seeing as how they rotated, everything changed depending on who was working. The other store manager would just send his issues through the grapevine. Most of the work is 16hrs worth in a day that they want done in 8hrs because you're not allowed overtime and forget about having associates there to help you because "the schedule is what it is."

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your associates more and care about them instead of walking past them everyday without even looking in their direction or when you do look in their direction, SAY SOMETHING! Even if it's just a good morning. My manager in the West knew everyone's name and even sent out birthday and new years cards signed himself, and his store was twice as big as the two stores in the East! Let people know you care for them rather than they're just another person you have to pay.

reviews filtered by

Deli Dungeon

Current Employee - Deli Sales Associate in Collinsville, IL
    Current Employee - Deli Sales Associate in Collinsville, IL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very busy non-stop makes shift go by faster. When the right associates are scheduled together, things run smoother and work gets done.

Cons

Expects the ones who actually work to take on even more. Triple work load, and way under staffed

Advice to Management

Put yourselves back into the hourly associates shoes, and once again realize it's much harder work and impossible to fulfill so many demands in such little time.

Not my favorite Job

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They were consistent and they usually gave you all the hours (under 40) that you wanted. They also worked with when my classes were.

Cons

Very little pay. In the deli I could not leave until the whole place was clean. I needed to work fewer hours but they could not schedule me for less than 14 a week.
    There was no future for me there.