I hated working there.

Former Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Carlisle, PA
Former Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Carlisle, PA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of anything that could be a pro except for the 10% employee didcount.

Cons

To many managers telling you what to do and how to do it. Raises are few and far between. I worked for two years and starting at $7.10 an hour and when I left I was only making $8.48.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Employed at Wal-Mart for 2 years, Pleasant experience.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Maumelle, AR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Maumelle, AR

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, Great benefits. The managers were nice and welcoming. A great experience for a minor starting out. They follow the federal employment guidelines.

Cons

No overtime. Most employees take the Wal-Mart experience for granted. I hear a lot of negative things regarding Wal-Mart but I have nothing negative to say.

Advice to Management

Continue to train employees to follow the basic rules of Sam Walton and you will have great representatives of your company at all times.

Walmart Response

Jun 2, 2014Sr. Manager of Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice–Sam’s 10 Rules for Building a Business helped Walmart grow into a global corporation. Today, we continue to teach all ten rules.

Department Manager

Former Employee - Department Manager in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Savannah, GA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is resonable depending on departments. I was able to move from stocker to department manager in 3 years. In one store (in Western USA), the managers cared about you and wanted you to succeed and taught you everything you needed to know. I had some personal issues arise and that store was more than willing to help me out in any way possible.

Cons

I worked 3 different stores in 6 years and in two different states, one in the west and the other 2 in the east, and all three were run differently depending on the store manager. The two managers on the east coast ran their stores differently from each other but neither was a good experience. Neither was involved with their associates or seem to acknowledge them unless something was wrong. One would sit in his office and the co-managers would all "run" the store and seeing as how they rotated, everything changed depending on who was working. The other store manager would just send his issues through the grapevine. Most of the work is 16hrs worth in a day that they want done in 8hrs because you're not allowed overtime and forget about having associates there to help you because "the schedule is what it is."

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your associates more and care about them instead of walking past them everyday without even looking in their direction or when you do look in their direction, SAY SOMETHING! Even if it's just a good morning. My manager in the West knew everyone's name and even sent out birthday and new years cards signed himself, and his store was twice as big as the two stores in the East! Let people know you care for them rather than they're just another person you have to pay.