Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houghton, MI
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houghton, MI

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary. Great people to work with. Plenty of job security. One of the best companies out there today.

Cons

Being in management.......salary, sometimes you have to put in a long shift.

Advice to Management

Always remember, it is the people that work for Walmart that continues the success, not just low prices.

Walmart Response

Jun 2, 2014Careers Representative

Thank you for sharing you experience as an Assistant Store Manager and for your 10 years of servant leadership. We often find that leaders who value people (both customers and associates) are most ... More

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Port Charlotte, FL
    Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Port Charlotte, FL

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a good amount of hours (30-32 hours per week) and you get a break every 2 hours you work as a cashier, good starting pay (well above minimum wage), co-workers are friendly and good managers who are reasonable and treat their employees equally.

Cons

Managers are not always quick to respond when you need them and it is hard to get good recognition from them because there are so many employees.

Advice to Management

Consider having more help on the front end of the store so you can work with your team better. I think the cashiers would appreciate some positive reinforcement as well.

Not as good as it used to be

Current Employee - Department Manager in Monroe, MI
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Monroe, MI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with is what makes the job most desirable. You always have plenty of work to keep you busy. Our associate discount center allows us discounts to thousands of events, hotels, attractions, etc.

Cons

Hours continue to be cut, never allowed overtime, lack of associates. You feel like you are drowning in your work because there is never enough help. Store management understands there is not enough help, however, there is nothing they can do about it because it all comes down from corporate. Customers are frustrated because there are always long lines to wait in. A lot of times, our store will have one person working 3 departments by themselves. It is very frustrating, and part of the reason we cannot keep help anymore.

Advice to Management

Start hiring more, and allow more hours. It goes further than hiring. Hiring does not matter if there aren't any hours for them to work. If you provide help, the customers will notice. If you continue on this current path, customers will go down the road to the next store where they don't have to wait in line, and where they don't have to search for associates on the floor.