There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Wal-Mart is immense and diverse, and everyone has a place within its structure; know your management.

Former Employee - Tax Accountant  in  Bentonville, AR
Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Wal-Mart provides an excellent array and opportunity for almost everyone; especially those just beginning from college, and definitely any High School graduates who chose to stop their institutional education at that level. Hourly employees receive cash bonuses based on merit up to 3.2% of the amount earned in a year; while Salaried positions receive annually 20% bonuses and can be higher as they advance. Many of the associates work in close quarters, which can be a benefit in the form of learning relationships for team members, opportunity to grow through mentor/mentee relationships, and open-door policies relating to fair & equal treatment.

Cons

As with many large-scale corporate environments, some individuals within management can be incompetent, biased, simply not the type of person that you work well with. My advice is to interview your senior management as much as they interview you. Be aware of those around you and possible negative interactions.

Be more active with the direct reports and their "career pathing" and opportunities within the company. Help associates achieve their goals and those of the departments. Prepare associates for success in other areas within the company. Speak highly of capable individuals and "promote" them to everyone in the company. Be proactive to stop "bad habits" early. Always be honest with your associates and coach them to grow with Wal-Mart. Recognize individuals who excel and strive for excellence.

7994 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Come work for Wal-Mart - it's a great place and yes it IS possible to live with only income.

Current Employee - Hourly Associate  in  Poulsbo, WA
    Current Employee - Hourly Associate in Poulsbo, WA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

It is a great place to start employment. Wages are competitive if not above competitive if you are new or fairly new to the work force. It is a fantastic place for women who have been stay at home moms and now need to supplement or even become the primary provider. It is probably one of the most diverse companies I have ever seen. The opportunities for advancement are excellent. If you are a hard worker and a team player, you can advance at a very fast rate. Wal-Mart is not age discriminatory. You have as much opportunity for advancement if you are 18 or 68. And NO most of my fellow associates are NOT on state-funded health care. Wal-Mart provides competitive benefits. It costs me less than $50/pay period to insure myself and my spouse. Wal-Mart also provides a 401k and share-holding plan. Associates do not have to contribute.

Cons

If you were hired prior to 2007, wages do not compensate for the raise in cost of living. People who have been hired subsequently will most likely be making more money than those hired prior to 2007 - such as myself - even with the annual pay raises. The difference in pay between hourly associates and hourly management needs to be addressed. New hourly associate hirees are making more money than their supervisors who were hired prior to 2007, yet the workload of hourly management is much greater.

Listen to your associates. There are those petty whiners and then there are those who have reasonable concerns that need to be addressed. Improved job related training. The workforce turn-over would be much less if associates were properly trained.

Its pays the bills

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Sumter, SC

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

It's the customers (most not all) They are quite nice and a few co-workers that appear nice make it worth while being there. I like the fact that if ever I am able to, can move elsewhere via transfers through the stores in other states.

Cons

It's like nothing you do is recognized. In my first review there were things said, like I didn't invite customers over when I had none. They call this "Redlining". I do redling all the time plus help my fellow cashiers with bagging or whatever I can if there are no customers at my line for any length of time. Who wants to just stand around? Saying that I don't 'redline' in my review to me, made me think someone just wrote something down, not facts, and hasn't noticed what I actually do and accomplish there.

I'd like to be noticed for the hard work I do. It's not easy being a cashier in Walmart. I'd like to feel that I'm important to this company, I'm someone. I'd like more hours and can't get them. Earning award buttons in the place seem to be more on the lines of 'favortisim' than recognition.
    In my review, Items Per Hour, I am hauling it scanning and I can not ever get into the 500's, near it, but there. I'm scanning my tail off even. Some get more I don't know how, wish I could, will keep trying to achieve it. I wish that wasn't a factor though. The job is stressful enough without standing there all day thinking, my gawed am I scanning fast enough?.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!