There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Be ready to run (Store-side)

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Missouri City, TX
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Missouri City, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to interact with different cultures of people everyday. Opportunity to move up is great and always available. Great exercise if youre in management.

Cons

Be prepared to do stuff beyond your pay grade. Once you get promoted be prepared to want to demote yourself unless you have a strong mind.

Once someone is working in a particular area let them work in that area and finish their task before being pulled to another department.

8478 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

I've worked for Walmart since 2007 in multiple stores

Current Employee - Multiple in Little Elm, TX
    Current Employee - Multiple in Little Elm, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was an easy job to get when I needed a job right away. Learned things I can take with me out the door. Made me a stronger person who can take crap way better than I have ever been able to take it in my life.

I've gained experience as: cashier, sales associate, stocker, backroom inventory associate, Department Manger, Overnight Fresh, Walmart distribution center unloader, Customer Service Supervisor, Support Mananger, Front End Zone Supervisor.

The longer you endure walmart, by the time you get out of there, and make it out alive, you will be confident you can work ANYWHERE. You take so much of the very worst possible treatment, and endure so much armatures in charge, poor cooperate policy, and on and on, that you will be a walking pistol when you get out of there.

CONGRATULATIONS, if you endure walmart for a year +, you are one heck of a troop! At least that is the impression I got when I got my new job offer to work for a better company with a better associate retention rate, and higher pay. Like, they just know if you worked for Walmart for any real time you are not going anywhere any time soon! Nothing gets worst, it only gets better from there.

Cons

Seems hard to get out the longer you stay. Low pay, poorly trained assistance managers that are not management material, horrible treatment, condescending, poor communication, lots of blame, degrading of associates by managers, high turnover rates, unreasonable goals, short staff always, oppressive environment. Constant call-ins, always being pulled out of your area to stock -- meaning you may be job coded as an Fresh associate, but you will be pulled out to stock other areas of the store and hardly be in your real area at all. Most assistant managers hate their job but keep it for pay as their duty to overlord and overwork and turnover staff so Walmart does not have to pay them benefits. Walmart is a foot on neck company with each level of management with their foot on the neck of the next.

Stay at Walmart, you will be driven to a low point. You forget you are worth more, can do more, can be more, should strive for more the longer you are in there.

For some reason, people who work at Walmart have bad teeth despite having dental cleanings free each year if in position long enough.

Work here only at your lowest point when there is no where else to work. And make it quick. Do not linger. I've been on both sides, I've formed relationships with higher managers. Most are not happy. Not a good place to work for anyone.

Gosh, where do I begin. Actually, I'd have a whole lot of advice for the CEO and some words for Walton family. But I won't do that here.

Here is my short clip: Walmart will never learn its lesson about why it loses employees. They keep cutting associate pay through clipping them from the bottom line. Face it walmart, GOOD associates will not stay getting paid pennies. That is why they turnover. The only people sticking around are people who lived a very sheltered work life, perhaps those like me. Once people wake up, they will get out. You don't pay, your assistance managers and co managers turn over your already downed morale staff. Unhappy staff means poor customer service. You are a hypocrite, because you will NEVER have good customer service until you learn how to treat your staff. As long as they are not important enough for you to retain, your customers are not important! These are the FACTS! So stop lying and saying 'customers first'. It is the greedy Waltons wallet first. By the way, thanks for pocketing all that extra money. Your greed will soon speak the fate of the large giant. The bigger they are ...

THIS DOES NOT APPLY JUST TO LITTLE ELM STORE. I've worked in MULTIPLE store locations.

Not a bad place too work depending on the management team.

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Again, depending on the management team, the pay isn't bad and the insurance benefits are good. Transfer opportunities are plenty. Can be a good place to work.

Cons

Massive favoritism, bringing issues to managements attention is like talking to a wall. Favoritism is so blatent that they don't even try to hide it. Advancement opportunities depend on who you know and not your experience or abillities. Management is EXTREMELY un-professional and will retaliate for any criticism they feel is aimed at them or their cronies. Following the chain of command when reporting issues up to and including the District Manager is retaliated against.

No point adviseing managment. NOBODY listens.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart