There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Trying hard to compete in ecommerce world

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open to all ideas and changes which can help them to succeed in ecommoerce world

Cons

Too many acquisitions and high profile vertical recruitment hurting quality of employees and sometime create confusion and kaos.

Have clear idea what is required out of an aquisition. Reward good work and be bold to punish mediocre work.

reviews filtered by
  1. Started as stockman (cart pusher) went to asset protection after 4 months.

Current Employee - Courtesy Associate and Asset Protection
    Current Employee - Courtesy Associate and Asset Protection

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Chance of bonus after certain period, yearly raises from 30-60 cents, room for advancement. As asset protection, fairly set schedule, only one "boss". Good core values as a company

Cons

Dangers of cart pusher, chance of getting hit by cars, lifting heavy objects "carry outs" as asset protection, dealing with risky shoplifters, have to be 100% right

Don't slash hours then wonder why you have lines/no one on the sales floor. listen to associate needs, don't just think of your bonus.

2. Overall, a good place to work

Current Employee - Pharmacist
    Current Employee - Pharmacist

I have been working at Walmart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As a pharmacist, you work rotating shifts during pharmacy hours of 9am-9pm. Some stores may have the pharmacist come in at 8am or 8:30am if it's known to be busy to get caught up but you are paid to come in to work before the store opens. You get a 30 minute lunch break that is paid for, either from 1:30-2pm if you are the only pharmacist working or at any time of your choosing if another pharmacist is working with you. If you travel/float to other pharmacies, you are compensated mileage plus your hourly wage for the distance/time you travel past your normal commute to your home store. The stores are also well-staffed.

Cons

Training had a decent computer-based component but the on-the-job training was not as well organized. At my store they pretty much told me to ask questions instead of showing me how to do things and they didn't seem interested in teaching. When I went to another store to train for a day, I was called last-minute to help out at another store since a technician didn't show up and they were swamped. Besides that, I was disappointed in the length of time it takes to accrue vacation (1 year full time to get 1 week vaca, 2 years full time to get 2 weeks vaca, etc). Also, you must use one day of personal or vacation time the first day you are sick and then can use sick time if you are sick past one day.

I would highly recommend better on-the-job training that is more structured and given by a pharmacist who is more driven to teach. It would be nice to include how to do CII-monthly inventory in the training as well.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart