There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Home Office is very nice and pays well - But it's so large. You've gotta be aggressive.

Former Employee - MerchandisingUndergraduate in Bentonville, AR
Former Employee - MerchandisingUndergraduate in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Good salary and benefits
-Internal promotions
-Embraces diversity
-Does a good job training associates to get promoted

Cons

-Large and bureaucratic
-You've gotta network aggressively to get noticed
-Located in Bentonville, AR - Small and remote area

Recognize the younger and lower associates to encourage them better
Don't be so passive-aggressive in feedback

reviews filtered by
  1. Good for a summer job, not during school

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Cedar City, UT
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Cedar City, UT

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

CSM's were always there to help no matter what
    Great summer job: $800 a month

Cons

I was part-time and worked me 39.5 hours to avoid paying me full time
    Not a good job to have during school (19 hours is the minimum per week)

2. "Proficient and well oriented, but needs some improvements."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Every associate, department manager, assistant manger and other staff member high and low, in every department, all have a mission: to provide every customer and themselves every product at convenient and great value at everyday low prices. Many of the highs there are compensation and benefits, tuition reimbursement if any, and chance of PROMOTIONS. In spite of having their own problems, every one of the associates and management are friendly. They treat you with the utmost respect as long as the respect is given back to them.

Cons

I have dealt with messy shelves, items being out of stock in certain areas of the store, and worst, leaky pipes and a leaky roof (the latter during rainy days). I took action of having to put buckets and wet floor signs under every leak, (another associate taped the buckets and placed wet floor signs to each leak after a request from me to avoid a lawsuit from an angry and fearful customer), and having to watch my back so that a particular department manager doesn't slip and fall from a leaky roof in spite of having buckets and wet floor signs blocking half the aisle. These two were considered close calls from having an accident. The culture were considered "the ghetto" from certain customers. It's disappointing to see that every person that works at Walmart deserves to be praised, not ridiculed, and yet they get none of that. I wish everyone would be treated the same instead of being mocked on, no matter the culture the store is in, the ethnicity of the people, and the color of their skin. Yet they get paid for what they do, and at the same time gaining their experience.

To all upper management and corporate management: As you may or may not know, Walmart had been dealing with a lot of stress and difficulty, especially since the Great Recession. If you all have a heart, please consider giving every associate in every department to receive a better wage, especially to prevent any strikes from happening in this Nation. Recall President Obama's national $10.10 an hour wage increase for EVERY workplace across America. If you can, consider approving a 50% wage increase for every associate, for every manager of all levels, and for every staff member in every department. I had read it in one of the news releases you might had posted online. And also, provide some decent fixes from a leaky roof and pipes and making the stores more friendlier, more environmental and with fewer accident, even slip and falls. And have radios for every associate besides upper management for better communication. Target, one of your main competitors, have their own radios for better communication for their team members. And as for the miscellanous, provide better training for new and existing associates, and more opportunities for their time at their work. If you do all of that, every associates and all the staff in every department, will thank you all.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart