Walmart Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Brownsville, TN
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Brownsville, TN

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are great

Cons

work life balance and bonus basis all screwed up

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Cashier

Former Employee - Overnight Cashier in Hialeah Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Overnight Cashier in Hialeah Gardens, FL

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rules and regs are, for the most part, applied equally to everyone. They give you chances to correct an area of deficiency before they let you go.

Cons

There's a lot of favoritism amongst management. They save the chances for career advancement for friends or buddies or brownnosers and turn away the employees that have spent time In the company and proven their worth with cheap excuses.

Advice to Management

Give everyone a fair chance.

You get what you put in

Current Employee - Department Manager- Walmart in Muskegon, MI
    Current Employee - Department Manager- Walmart in Muskegon, MI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company does have many pro's, despite popular belief that the company is terrible to work for. There are many opportunities for advancement, paid time off after a year including vacation time, sick time, and personal time. One is eligible for benefits after 90 days which can include dental and vision insurance, on top of other coverage for just dollars. One can also start a 401k retirement fund. There are so many locations that in the event of relocation, there is a high chance of transfer. There is also a 10% discount card that can be used at every transaction, and although a lot of food is not eligible, during the holiday months, everything becomes discounted.

Cons

There are definitely cons as well. The pay is not stellar by any means. Most people do not receive full time hours which does cause a lot of people to rely on welfare or other assistance programs. I am very lucky because I have a full time first shift schedule. Although the title Dept. Manager indicates some form of supervision, the title really just means that there is more disciplinary action. For example, a dept. manager can have a very clear idea of what they need to do for the day or week, but if corporate sends down directions everything gets pushed aside so daily duties are pushed aside and when they are not done we are still written up, even though we wanted to do what we were supposed to. It is like that basically everyday. Also, the subordinates do not do their assigned duties and are not held accountable and then we dept. managers have to do their jobs on top of ours and get written up if not done. Managers play favorites and oftentimes it does benefit the associate to earn favor.

Advice to Management

Upper management seems to be completely disconnected from their associates. There needs to be accountability on every shift and awareness of duty shifts.