Walmart

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Walmart Review

Former Employee - Front-end Cashier in Cynthiana, KY
Former Employee - Front-end Cashier in Cynthiana, KY

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved meeting and helping customers.

Cons

They only hire cashiers part-time.

Hire people full-time if they need the hours.

9068 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Open ended career possibilities

Current Employee - DAR_R_Unloader/Processor in Alachua, FL
    Current Employee - DAR_R_Unloader/Processor in Alachua, FL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Big corporate environment with many possibilities to move up with the right education.

Cons

Walmart starts employees off at pay that is way too low.

Start your employees at much higher pay, hire people full time and offer more rapid growth opportunity for those who have the integrity to step up to the plate!

A Good Part-Time College Job

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Walmart is a really great place to work if your looking for a part time college job. The hours are extremely flexible. I been able to cut my hours down to as little as two days a week as the work load for school demanded without issue. There is also a lot of opportunities is terms of positions. If you find yourself unhappy with your current circumstances, it is easy to find another position within the company. The is also the opportunity for promotion if wish to go in that direction. Pay and benefits, at least in my experience, has been adequate for a retail job. It should also be noted that the work environment is a great place to build communication skills. Although I guess it could hold true for any retail job, I have found that through my time working there, my ability to communicate in a professional environment, weather it be working with groups or giving presentations, has vastly improved. I tell people that my the work I do at Walmart has done more for my ability to communicate than any college course ever could.

Cons

Where to begin. For starters, it should definitely be noted that this job can, at times, be very stressful, especially around the holiday season. Think about how stressful it is is to be shopping that time of year, then imagine beings stuck there for eight hours, and at the receiving end of customers ire when you don't have that must have gift in stock. Also, although hours are flexible, their not always ideal. Lets say you available four and a half days a week and want to work three. They will honor the time you need to have off, and most likely schedule you the three days, but they might be broken up into partial shifts spanning the four and a half days you have available, and there not consistent which makes it difficult to make plans on the days you work. Additionally, you also have to keep in mind that Walmart is the worlds largest private employer, and with large size comes red-tape and bureaucracy. Sometimes it seems like the simplest of issues can take weeks to address. Management can be hit or miss. I've had bosses in the past that respect me as an individual, see my job a important, and take a genuine interest with my concerns. I've also have had bosses that seems to think of me a nothing more than a warm body, and hardly understand what i do, because they make assumptions rather than taking a genuine interest. Likewise coworkers can very in quality. There are those who take their job seriously and work hard, and there are those who put forth the minimum amount of effort to stay employed.

Two things, try to remember to have a genuine concern for the day to day work of your associates. You should be aware of and able to address anything I mention. Additionally, if your directly above me you should know how to do anything that I do. You also need to make sure to trust us and respect the jobs that we do. For example, before you pull us to some odd-job for instance, ask us and make sure we don't have anything more important at hand. finally, you need to hold us accountable. You need to reward those who work hard, and discipline those who do not carry their weight.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart